Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Plymouth

matt220781

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello & welcome to SGL :D

magnification divided by lens size gives you your exit pupil size for the light gathering by the eye, which needs to be about 4 to 5mm. 20/50 = 2.5. 12/50 = 4. and a bit. 15/70 = 4.6. 20/80 = 4. 25/100 = 4. The smaller the exit pupil the 'dimmer' the objects will be.

Hello matt,

I am also new to astronomy and i am also from plymouth, I've used bino's for years, I've got a pocket size pair of 8x25's, these give me a good view and only cost £10. I also have 10-30x50 which cost £14 from lidl. But eventually i had to get myself a scope and bought a skywatcher 150pl which comes with everything you need for hours of good viewing, Im impressed with the quality but I've really got the bug now and want to get a bigger scope. If you want to meet up sometime I would be glad to show you some stuff.

welcome

cheers

Adam.

Thanks again for the replies.

I went for a cheap pair of 10x50 from 7dayshop.

7dayshop 10x50 bins

Does anyone know if these are similar to the ones available from Aldi/Lidl?

I took a punt on them and figured if they are junk then i've learned an important lesson :D but if they are ok then thats fine for me and i can upgrade once i know what i'm looking at.

It was a fantastic clear sky last night and i managed to see lots including Saturn. Unfortunately the bins haven't arrived yet so it was all with the naked eye.

When i was looking at Saturn I could have sworn i could see bits on either side which I guessed were its rings. Is it possible to see without binoculars/telescope or was it just my imagination?

Adam - thanks for the offer. I'd definitely be up for that at some point once I know a bit more of what i'm looking at. I'll PM you. Thanks.

Hi Matt, welcome to SGL.

I have had a pair of Bresser Saturn 15X60's for ten years and not felt the need to replace. Prolly couldn't get them any more mind you.

[Edit] Well, well, you can still buy them! £48 and I can recommend.

Hi Matt, welcome to SGL.

I have a pair of 50 x70's, and they are great, but they do need a tripod and a decent bracket to hold them steady. Get a metal bracket, I got a plastic one free and the bino's just wobbled side to side all night, the plastic is not man enough to hold them.

The Bins are superb for clusters and the like though.

Well the 10x50's were... not good. I couldn't get them to align properly and they constantly showed 2 images slightly overlapping no matter how i adjusted them. I guess they took a knock whilst being delivered.

So they've gone back and ive bought myself a pair of Revelation 15x70 which appear to be rather impressive when ive used them in daylight so far.

Now i just need the rain to stop and the cloud to clear before it gets dark tonight!

hi, a shame about the 10x50's. you can see the andromeda galaxy through bino's,not overly impressive but cos it's a galaxy it gives you something to wow about. situated at 8 o'clock position from casseopiea which is the big "w" shape constellation if you have any trouble finding it. sorry if you already know where stuff is.

speak soon,

Adamski.

Archived