Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece range for Skymax 127?

Key

Hi,

My Skymax 127 came with 10mm and 25mm ep's and a 2x Barlow; but what would be the min and max size ep's that would still give good results?

As a newbie I'm not looking to spend a fortune but any recommendations on brands appreciated.

Cheers,

Key

Also, what's the widest FOV that would be useful in the wide-field ep? I see that there are some up to 100 degrees but is the FOV restricted by the diameter of the 'scope?

Key

I use anything from 32mm down to 6mm in mine. Occasionally even 4mm if the seeing is good enough, though objects to tend to fairly whip across the field of view at that sort of magnification without tracking. I tend not to use a barlow with eyepieces.

James

Thanks James,

Just what I wanted to know!

I had picked up elsewhere that 6mm to 32mm would be a sensible min/max under most circumstances, but it's nice to have it confirmed by a Skymax 127 user.

What FOV do your ep's have, particularly the 32mm? The supplied ones are both 52 degrees but a wider-field looks great in simulations - any real-life observations to make?

Key

All mine are 52 degrees, I've not tried anything with a wider fov.

I'm not sure what a realistic maximum field of view is for this scope. It may depend on whether you're using 1.25" or 2" eyepieces. I'm reasonably sure I can fit the entire Beehive in using the 32mm ep though, so I've not felt the need to experiment further.

James

I've recently added a Televue 32mm plossl for use on my 127 Mak after reading the various, and may I say excellent, advice on this site. Not had too many clear nights to put it through its paces but did manage an excellent view of the Double Cluster in Perseus using it.

I think the 6mm will be a future addition giving me 6mm, 10mm, 25mm and 32mm - combined with a x2 barlow that should cover most requirements I understand. I am toying with getting a 0.5 reducer for use with the SPC900 webcam - not sure if that will bring any benefits to visual use though, as opposed to imaging.

I've recently added a Televue 32mm plossl for use on my 127 Mak after reading the various, and may I say excellent, advice on this site. Not had too many clear nights to put it through its paces but did manage an excellent view of the Double Cluster in Perseus using it.

I think the 6mm will be a future addition giving me 6mm, 10mm, 25mm and 32mm - combined with a x2 barlow that should cover most requirements I understand. I am toying with getting a 0.5 reducer for use with the SPC900 webcam - not sure if that will bring any benefits to visual use though, as opposed to imaging.

It makes you wonder why 'scopes are sold with 10 and 25mm ep's when it's obvious that people want/need the highest and lowest usable powers to get the best views of planets and galaxies/clusters respectively.

On the other hand from their point of view they get extra sales when you realise you do want/need different ep's!

i would recommend the gso/revelation range of plossl for your scope, a good step up from the originals without breaking the bank

Thanks; I've seen them advertised as a 2" version is it possible to get them in 1.25"?

It's certainly possible to get them in 1.25" because mine are (but bought as a set, rather than individually).

James

What's the eye relief like, some 6mm ep's seem to have pinhole lenses and relief of only a few mill's!

I've seen TMB 6mm planetary (Type II) for under £40 which have an extra lens down the barrel which gives around 16mm relief and 58deg FOV. I've read that TMB are very well regarded in general; anyone used this specific ep?

• 1 year later...
I use anything from 32mm down to 6mm in mine. Occasionally even 4mm if the seeing is good enough, though objects to tend to fairly whip across the field of view at that sort of magnification without tracking. I tend not to use a barlow with eyepieces.

James

Sorry to hijack this thread but maybe you could help me out. My Mak 127 only came with a 28mm ep, but my father gave ma a 10mm eyepiece (1.5") which I put in the conversion thingy for eyepieces. But no matter how hard I tried I could not get it to focus. It was a fairly good sky, I had sharp stars with the 28 but just really foggy view with the 10. Any ideas why? Thanks :)

No idea, really, but perhaps the 10mm eyepiece needs to be further from the mirror? Might help to put in in an extension tube or something along those lines. You could test that during the day if you have a very distant object to focus on.

James

No idea, really, but perhaps the 10mm eyepiece needs to be further from the mirror? Might help to put in in an extension tube or something along those lines. You could test that during the day if you have a very distant object to focus on.

James

That's a good idea. Thanks James.

Archived