Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LX90 12" Query

barkis

Help,

Are there any owners of the LX90 in the group. I own one, and I wrote to Telescope Services with a view to purchasing the necessary fittings that would allow me to mount my ED80 to it. Of course a suitable counter balance would have to be employed also.

The rub is, they informed me that the LX90 mount was not suitable for carrying the extra load, and they would not advise doing it.

I have to say I am just a bit depressed about this. So I am asking anyone with knowledge of the scope, to give some feedback.

I have had the scope a while now, but only now have I got around to preparing it for some work. I have just had my first setback. Please somebody give me a straw to grab hold of.

Barkis. :rolleyes:

Hi Barkis,

I have an 8" LX90 - it has the same mount as the 12" I believe. I can put small items (camera etc) on the back and it tracks okay, but tube rings and an ED80 might come to 4 or 5 kilos - I would be loath to load it that much.

The LX200 is much more robust and can take the load easily - but I have my doubts about the LX90.

Tom

I owned a 8" LX90 a couple of years ago and when I looked into piggybacking a small refractor the general advice was that, although it would take an ED80, it was very borderline and I would certainly be shortening the life of the motors.

I ended up putting an ST80 on instead and when you see all the weights/ bars and the refractor on top of the LX90 even that looks like more than enough for the LX.

I thank very much the later input to my quandry. Overall so far, the odds are still in favour of not taking the risk of adding my ED80. I appreciate that even if the scope was superbly balanced, the extra mass still comes into play, moment of inertia and all that. I am sure there are some experts in that area who might expand on that subject.

I am now thinking of mounting the ED80 side by side with my 150mm f8 refractor, which will be the guiding instrument.

If any overload problems arise out of this arrangement, I reckon it will be a cheaper repair option than if the Meade were to

flame out.

Further comments on this would be more than welcome.

And again, thanks to those who have contributed.

Barkis. :rolleyes:

Archived