Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ruddy Parcelforce

Hobbes

I ordered a new tripod to go with my Revelation 15x70's on Wednesday for next day delivery :( and got home last night to find that Parcelforce have completely ignored my instructions to leave the parcel with neighbours if no-one was in :p. They have then compounded this by returning it to the post office branch which shuts at 5:30 rather than the parcelforce depot which shuts at 7:00 :) and we have clear skies forcast for tonight dammit . Wonder if anyone will notice if I knock off work 2 hours early?

To be fair to royal mail I don't know if the supplier past on my delivery instructions and they also failed to notify me that the order had been processed so I was unsure if it was on it's way. On the failed delivery note the section where I can arrange redelivery has been comprehensivly crossed out by the postie :) so I took that as a hint.

I would guess that the parcel was to be signed for by you on delivery as it was valuable. If you are out and it is special delivery/parcelforce 24/48 then it cannot normally be left with neighbours due to people claiming none receipt and claiming on the insurance.

Can you get parcels delivered to work?

I started doing this a long time ago to avoid the postcards to collect parcels from distant places with stupid opening hours. Then I got a credit card address changed from home to work for these people who will only ship to the cardholders registered address.

Fortunately my work colleagues are trustworthy asnd responsible, so parcels don't go astray. Never looked back from this.

I did consider it but I work in London and commute by folding cycle/train so my carrying capacity is limited. I will just have to resign myself to wobbly stars again tonight and look forward to future sessions with the new tripod

I would guess that the parcel was to be signed for by you on delivery as it was valuable. If you are out and it is special delivery/parcelforce 24/48 then it cannot normally be left with neighbours due to people claiming none receipt and claiming on the insurance.

you can get a neighbour to sign for anything, but they have to print there name clearly and then sign, the reson for this is that all the info is then inputed into a computer so you can then track your item should it go missing....

Normally it is not a problem and I have used this arrangement many times in the past. I guess the delivery instructions I put on the supplier website did not get passed on as my neighbour was in all day but did not get asked to sigm for the parcel.

YES. YES. YES.

The Tripod make a big difference and is a quality piece of kit - it's HUGE and really stable. I can look almost straight up without any bending at the knees. I did have to tinker with the tripod head a little to get it all seated in properly but that only took 5 mins. Having tried out a 1800mm tripod at a viewing evening a couple of weeks ago I'm really glad I went for this model which goes to 2000mm. I did some viewing of the moon and Saturn on Sat Night and having the Bino's well mounted at the right height lets you really relax and concentrate on the object in the eye piece.

Sadly I now have a problem with the Bino's. The brass fitting that the Bino mount screws into worked loose and the socket that it screw into appears to have stripped threads. It was full of what looked like unset araldite. I have contacted FLO who have offered me a replacement (when they have stock) or refund. Great service (I do like dealing with that company) and at the moment I am hanging on for a replacement. If there is no sign of a relacement set in a couple of weeks I did wonder about getting the refund and buying a set of Revelation 20x80's (Apeture fever? Moi? Never!) which are only about another £35 and also get excellent reviews. The only down side that I can see is that they weigh nearly twice as much which would meam that handholding them even for short periods would be out of the question. However having experienced the 15x70's on a good tripod I'm not sure that I will use them handheld much again so it may not be an issue.

I'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks

Rgds

Rob

As my students say: "20x80's are the bomb!" We have both in class: Celestron Skymaster 15x70's and a pair of Orion (USA) 20x80's. The big 20's blow the Skymasters away. Resolution, color, mag limit, number of stars, detail on nebulae, seeing fainter targets like Andromeda Galaxy, etc.

Don't worry about the hand holding stuff - that's for when you are with your girl friend, or your 7x50's! :p One look at the 80mm goodness and you won't go back.... until you are ready for 25x100's! :D

Dan

until you are ready for 25x100's! :p

Dan

I saw a set on Ebay today but missed them by a couple of minutes.

Thanks for the advice about the 20x80's it's definately helping me make my mind up.

Rgds

Rob :D

Archived