Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Oh yes....big dobs are for me......

Moonshane

I had a peek though a 20" dob at the SGL5 star party. I viewed M51 and M13 and the view was truly astounding :o

But there is no way on earth I could have something like that at home so I'll have to be content to own more modest size instruments.

The problem is that views like that kind of haunt you for a long time afterwards. If there is a large aperture instrument at SGL6, I'll definately be in the line to look though it if the owner is willing :(

you'll be joining me in a jumble sale type combat :)

BTW I have just bought a 26mm Nagler - bit the bullet. so if you want to try it against your 31mm Nagler then we can maybe do a swapsies?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I looked through a 20" Obsession dobsonian at the Salisbury party two years ago and when the 'handler' asked me what I wanted to see, I of course embarrased myself by saying, "oh...um....M81 & M82" as this is the normal view most of us see using modest equipment. Then the owner of the scope then questions, "Yeah but which one of them do you want to see?". The view that I got of both (I was greedy:D) was truly staggering with plenty of detail and structure to last a whole evening.

Should I have looked? From a salivation point of view NO,:D but then you only live once and the memory certainly helps me keep focused when the clouds come in.

James

Archived