Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back in the hobby, what to choose?

After a 3 year break I'm getting back into the hobby. I used to work nights so no time for observations and then I moved from the deepest darkest countryside, to the centre of a light polluted town!

I currently own a home built 6" reflector (in need of a little TLC and sew coatings) and a Tal1 4.5" reflector.

So... my question is:

I'm looking for a lightweight, ultra portable telescope to take with me when I go camping. I'm considering a 5" Mak, but have read many reports of these being unsuitable for deep sky observing. Is this the case, or would they prove good enough to quench my thirst while out and about?

Models I'm currently looking at, Celestron C130 Mak and Skywatcher Skymax 127. Does anyone have any suitable experience with either of these two telescopes? I've only found one rather poor review for the Celestron but several decent reviews for the skywatcher. I'm happy to take other suggestions. I have a budget of around £500 so I need to be careful what I choose.

All help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Richard.

Welcome to SGL Richard

Maks tend to have long focal lengths and lend themselves more to planetary observations. If DSO's are your pleasure then you want a shorter focal length. I'de say go for a 80mm APO but you might want more aperture than that for visual work, depending on how dark your skies are when camping. Does the £500 include the mount?

I would perhaps look at the WO ZS80SD or perhaps the Megrez90 if you can afford it or find one second hand.

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=64

Much cheaper are the achros and a ST120 is fairly portable and has a decent aperture.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=st120eq32

(i may be shot for recommending that one!)

Thanks for the welcome and your suggestions. This is not as easy as I thought it was going to be!

Ideally I don't want to be spending more than around £500. I already have two 'decent' telescopes, this one is purely a grab and go scope to provide me with a bit of pleasure when I'm camping under dark skies.

I looked at the Startravel 150, but after reading some poor reviews I don't think it's the scope for me, unless someone can provide a more positive review.

I must admit I am taken with the Skywatcher Skymax 127and it seems to have pretty decent reviews? I know they are not reccomended for deep sky viewing but what can I expect from this type of scope? What would be the difference say, to looking at M42 with this telescope and a 4 1/2 " Newtonian? As it's only to be used for short camping trips, I'm not going to be too devastated if I can't make out every trail of gas! I get excited just seeing the object I've been searching for, pop into my field of view!

Gordon beat me to it :D:p

Hi Richard, welcome aboard :p

The Skymax 127 is a popular scope with good, contrasty optics. Whilst it is more a planetary scope, you will be pleasantly surprised at what it will achieve with the brighter deep-sky-objects. It would also make an excellent Solar telescope when fitted with a suitable filter.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mak127ota

Can't mention solar viewing without the obligatory warning: Never view the Sun without a suitable solar filter - doing so will result in irreversible eye damage!

I pack a Skymax 102 on an EQ2 mount when camping 8)

Thanks for all the input! It really is much appreciated.

For the people who actually use this scope, what eyepieces do you use? I must admit, most of the eyepieces I have are on the cheap side and I wouldn't mind investing in 2 or 3 more.

Archived