Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Book recommendations

FLO

The only astronomy related books that i have are--

The universe in a nutshell Steven Hawking (Won it in a competition)

Astro photography for the amatuer Michael Covington (Present from a friend)

The first one i can't make head nor tail of.

The second one has been a big help to me no end.

Hi Steve,

I would recommend for beginners at least [glow=red,2,300]TURN LEFT AT ORION[/glow] (Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis

Cambridge University Press ).

The Book offers beginners 100 night sky objects to observe and is presented in such a away that it's extremely easy to understand, what with it's big diagrams and easy reading text. Offers info on the planets,Moon Deep sky objects and Telescope's. I would say it was as close as to having a Pro or experienced amuture Astronomer next to you in your garden.... IMHO..

James

I find the authors sniffy attitude towards GOTO a bit offputting
Yes i noticed that Steve in some part i agree with him but not too his extreme :)..

I have all of Steven Hawking's publically realeased book's i find them of great interest, The Universe In a Nutshell being one of my fav's had to read it twice to understand it though.. Astro photography for the amatuer Michael Covington is a fantastic book Jamie deff one for those with an interest in Film Astrophotography.

James

"The Messier Objects" and "The Caldwell Objects" by Stephen O'Meara are both great books for both the practical observer and the armchair astronomer.

Cant say as i have read these books Gaz could you give details on how many pages etc etc please? I am looking to buy some book's to bring my collection a bit more up too date..

James :)

They both follow the same format, first there is a the story behind the cataloges and the compliers.

Then each object is given 2 or 3 pages, with a photo, a sketch of the object (by O'Meara) and a sketch how to find the object.

The text tells you what the object is, how it was formed and any other interesting facts. The book are about 250-300 pages long, the Messier one esp. is a great read and a good companion when observiing the Messiers, I like the way it gives equal weight to how to find them and also telling you all about the objects.

Gaz

The stingy gits havn't knoked any money off if you buy both, they are £25 each anyway, usually they knock a fair bit off.

Try the Messier one first James to see if you like it, the Caldwell book is just more of the same (but it does include all the Messier objects, but in slightly less detail, so it might be worth getting that first?).

Burnhams Celestial Handbook (in 3 volumes) is an excellent work,  "Night watch" by Terence Dickinson is a very good book for beginners with lots of good advice.

The latest two that I have bought are "Astronomy Hacks- Tips and tools for observing the night sky" which is brilliant, and "Skywatching" by David Levy, which I havent had a chance to read yet as I only bought it today! (half-price in the sale at my local Waterstones).

Cheers, bob.

Archived