NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

F5 fast scope to slow scope?

Hi all, here`s a ponder for you all, i have been collimating my scope a heritage 130p , now this is a fast scope, i have collimated it and now it is slow scope? the mirror are not offset has described in Astro Babys guide at the end of the article, so the question is will the mirrors align offset anyway when collimated, ie because of short tube scope . Or is it i have done it wrong? i have done the star test and it looks ok to me, but.... the images just could be a tad sharper? yours paul.

You haven't altered the focal ratio so why should it now be slow?

Olly

I think Paul is discribing the offset view AB mentions in her tutorial on collimation. Ie the fast scope presents and offset on the secondary and a slower scope is more centered, as seen through a Cheshire.

The Heritage is an f5 (fast scope). Nothing you do to it through collimation can convert it into a slow scope (f10/f11 etc).

I have a Heritage and collimated it when it arrived because not everything was central (the secondary spider vain was loose). Now when i look down the tube......i can see the 3 primary clips and the everything is pretty much bang on inside the donut.

I'm more then happy with the views. They (to me) are tack sharp. If your views are not so sharp this could be down to collimation or even such a simple thing as focus.

The screw up/down focuser on the Heritage really is its downfall. It makes focusing very NON forgiving. To overcome this, i spent a few minutes a day winding in and out the focuser until such a time as all the paint on the screw threads on the inside of the focuser was removed. I also added a couple of drops of oil on the threads to make focusing smoother.

hi Luke skywatcher, my 130p was same by the looks of things my spider was twisted slightly when it arrived and there was grease all over the main mirror!! night mare to clean off. thanks telescope house!! yeah the focuser does let it down ,mine is lose in the threads, iam gona try some PTF tape to see if that helps.

Archived