astronomy course

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

hi, im starting the s194 course with the open university in november, cant wait to start! As i dont know alot yet with astronomy, should i sign up to the society for popular astronomy, or will it be too daunting for me? they send a magazine every 2 months. i used to get the sky at night magazine monthly, i found that daunting as i didnt know about what i was reading if you know what i mean?

hi thanks for helping me, im starting s194 in november, looking forward to starting it. As i dont know much about astronomy should i sign up to the society for popular astronomy so i can receive their magazines every 2 months, what are the benefits of joining the spa? my worry is that i'll find reading the magazines daunting as i dont now much about astronomy, i used to get the sky atnight magazine and i found that daunting because i didnt know about stars and things.

i have looked into joining the spa but not sure what it can give me that i dont already get. help and advice is readily available right here. astro news can be found all over the web and by joining my local astronomy society (which is free) i get a monthly news letter. ok its only £16 a year but in a hobby that can be expensive if I can get my info, help and news for free then ill take it. Would be keen to here from members of the spa on there opinion

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I've not done S194 but looking at the detailed description on the website it looks good, you'll learn a lot :)

The only down side is after you've finished the course you'll find yourself wanting to do anothere course and another and another :)

Sounds highly likely... There's something dreadfully compulsive about doing courses and studying I find :happy1:

the open university one is all your own time, when u can, its presented (to my knowlage) online but i assume they do send things in the post, (iv seen a few of the course books sold on here) i think the uclan one is closer to a usual degree (of modules and you compleat each one over a year but dont have to do many per year) again thats presented online.

the only thing that put me off the open university is its just a module, you have to do others, the uclan one is either a 1st year higher ed, 2 year or BSc hons degree of 18 modules over 6+ years as u pay per module (currently on £325 per module but been told it will increase next year)

Hey there,

I'm in the middle of the S194 course as well at the moment & I'm really enjoying it. As the others have stated, its not the most intense course but it does give you some solid basic knowledge & is a nice starting point if you wish to take your interest in the subject any further.

Once I finish the course, I'll be looking to take a more in depth course to increase my knowledge in astronomy.

Cheers,

Jeff

Archived