Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

dslr cameras

todd8137

hi just a quick one a see alot of cmos ones like Canon EOS 400D 10.5 are these cmos ones any good for telescope work at all ?any comments welcome ,or will any dslr work fine wether it be cmos or cdd ? do not want to waste my cash if icmos is no god thanks pat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the lower end dSLR's are CMOS... and the manufacturers sink huge sums of cash into making them as good as they can make them...

My 450d is cmos based and it produces good results (I think)... will it match the results of a dedicated cooled CCD, no, but you know what.. that doesn't matter, I can't afford a dedicated cooled CCD :)...

The 1000d is probably a better bet though... about the same spec, but I think it might have a newer processor and liveview.

There is a new 1100d coming out this month with a DIGIC 4 processor! This might then have a good effect on the prices of 1000d's (DIGIC 3). Also a 600d coming out too.

I have been looking at the 500d myself.

Any of the Canon DSLR's (other than maybe the 550!) work very well for asTronomy. You won't be disappointed.

Merlin,

What makes the 550d unsuitable?

I am just looking into cameras at the moment and would appreciate any assistance.**

Thats very interesting the 550D was the first of the lower end cams to incorporeta gapless microlensing on the sensor...

I have found noise improved with the newer cams and my 500D is much quieter than my 1000D which I always thought was pretty good for the money...

Peter...

Thanks for the info.

The new 1100d might be the way to go having the newer processor. That will depend on the price point though. 500d may actually be cheaper! Here's hoping :)

Based on Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear

the 500d is about the same as the 1100d and the 550d a bit more expensive. The 1000d is currently just below £300...

Ah they're out already then.

In that case then which one do you think would be the best to go for. The new 1100d or the older 500d? Is there any other difference than the higher pixel count?

To be honest... if the price on the 1000d drops, I might try and get me one of those and mod it. Otherwise, I want a 7d or maybe the 60d, but then I'd mod the 450d for Astro and use the 7d/60d for my daylight images :)...

Well I would like both probably. One for Astro use and one for daylight images. The missus is very snap happy and uses a decent point and shoot at the moment but always comments on the quality look of DSLR images. She prints and shares her stuff (Facebook mainly). For Astro I would probably like to do both too but maybe not Facebook :)

Does the DIGIC 3 on the 1000D make any significant difference to the quality of shot?

Re: 550D and RAW file support.. you just need to install Adobe camera RAW 5.7. That will open them no problem... or failing that, DNG converter will deal with them as well.

This is always the case with a new SLR. When I got my D7000 I had to wait a couple of weeks for Adobe camer raw support, and Lightroom support.

This is not a fault of the camera.. it's not Canon's fault that Adobe have wait until the next release of ACR... this has happened with almost every new release of a camera I've bought.

As for the noise... I can't comment. I stopped using Canon gear ages ago, although I may get another one just for astro use (filter removed).

This is interesting. I've been reading the threads that are linked to via Merlin66's post.

In that thread is this...

Untitled-1-88.jpg

As it says... the centre 300x300 pixels from the first, and last of 6x5min exposures at ISO1600.

Here's the same test done with a Nikon D7000 @ ISO 1600.

First of the 5 minute exposures.

_DSC2414.jpg

..and the 5th 5min exposure.

_DSC2414.jpg.

Ditch your Canon's guys... get a D7000 :)

I'll do another test with the long exposure noise reduction off in a min.. these were with it switched on.

[edit]

Here's noise reduction off...

_DSC2420.jpg

To be honest, I can't tell a difference when viewing the entire frame.

I wonder how the 500D would perform? More like the 450D or the 550D? I'd also be interested in seeing the noise from the 1100D to compare.

Archived