Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I Need Help At Star Party

Ribraider

Hi Everyone,

A small local school near where I live is currently doing a study of the solar system in their curriculum. I have been approached if I would be willing to take my telescope to them for an evenings star gazing. The date has been set for 10/03/11, when the moon will be around 10 days old. That would be great to look at for starters but after that I fear that Jupiter will be getting far too low and my final show piece Saturn, will appear far too late at around 1115pm ish for everyone to stick around. My audience will consist of 10 to 14 year olds. Apart from M42, can anyone suggest any other bright objects I might show without them going away feeling dissapointed. My scope is a Meade LX10 8" mirror.

Any ideas will be gratefully received. :)

Ribraider

How about the following:

M31 - should be far enough away from the moon

Double cluster in Perseus - likewise

M44 is always nice as well.

The added benifit is that all these can also be seen with binoiculars - you could think about doing a handout for them so that they could find these objects again with their parents Bino's (if they have any). Check out this link for a handy downloadable Chart and objects for the month http://www.skymaps.com/downloads.html

Rgds

Rob

I don`t think they would be that much dissapointed after seeing the moon and M42. I took my scope to the local Brownie pack and due to conditions all I could show them was the moon. Not all, but most of them were amazed at just being able to see the craters etc.

You could check for any ISS passes or other satellites.

Also, you could teach them how to find north with the pole star, that is something you could explain to the whole group at the same time. Be prepared for loads of questions, their thirst for knowledge will drain your brain!

Hi,

Thanks to you all for your quick replies and suggestions. I`m feeling alot happier already! :) Never quite done anything like this before, I want to try and give the impression I know what I`m doing, even if I don`t! Must do some serious homework before hand, I like the idea of giving out handouts.

Again many thanks

Ribraider

Last year I did an evening's viewing with the local cubs (http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/110812-tis-gift-simple.html). I was really surprised how impressed they were with the simple things I showed them. Don't forget, whatever you show them, it will probably be their first time ... remember how excited you got ... ?

Archived