Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

National Space Centre

Jimmy Stix

Can anyone tell me what the National Space Centre in Leicester is like?

Is it very child orientated or is there plenty to keep adults amused too?

I am thinking of taking an all adult group and wondering if it's worth the trip. The website makes it look pretty good but you can't always tell.

Any info that will help me decide would be much appreciated. :)

It's great - plenty of stuff for both adults and kids. My local astro soc meetings are held there. They have a full 360 degree planetarium with regular shows which are good. The exhibitions are terrific especially the rocket. Can't remember everything cos it's been a while since we visited the exhibitions but we had a very good day out :)

I took my two girls there yesterday. (they're 5 and 8). It's not a particularly big place and there's nothing there that will blow you away, but loads for the kids to do - lots of things to press/read/touch/talk-into etc. And plenty of adult stuff too, which is well-designed and informative.

You also get a free film in one of those cinemas where the film is projected on to a curved ceiling - very impressive.

It's about £50 for a family of four, which isn't particularly cheap, but if you gift-aid your ticket you get free entrance for the rest of the calendar year.

Tim.

It's a great day out. Sometimes they have really good offers- a while back we went for the day and on buying a family ticket with GiftAid we were given a year pass. That was perfect as we live only 25 minutes away so could just pop in for a bit and see our favourite bits. It is quite child oriented but I still enjoy it.

Id love to go and actualy visit,

Ive drove past a few times (a few years ago) and the place was obvious due to the amount of Light Pollution shining upward in a huge cone,

A bit suprising since most of us are trying to get rid of LP :)

JJ..

Lots of help there for me to be able to make an informed decision. I had kinda made up my mind that I definately wanted to go but was unsure if I could convince the others.

It's the memory of childhood and the "wonder of space" (that I still have) that means I will probably love it all!

Cheers for the help!

Archived