Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hubble palette and the DSLR

swag72

Not really - you need to use OIII & SII filters - the signal strength is usually very weak, a more sensitive mono ccd is required and even then we are talking about exposure times of 20/30 mins per sub.

You can do some lovely mono Ha images with a DSLR though.

I thought that was the case - But can it be done with a DSLR?

Oh, you're too kind :)

I used the Astronomik H Alpha Filter 12nm which is available in an EOS clip filter deign - it just drops in to the body of your camera where the lens goes. They are great.

Astronomik filters @ Modern Astronomy

What would you suggest would be the best filter to get mono Ha images with a DSLR? My DSLR is modded if that makes a difference.

Your mono pics are lovely John.

FWIW, I'd go for the more narrow pass band as it'll give you more HA and less noise plus it'll be less affected by light pollution and/or the Moon.

Tony..

Seconded, having used the 12nm if I bought another I'd get the 6nm.

I wouldn't rule out narrowband imaging on the DSLR, you may want to look at this:

Maybe I might try it one day... certainly much cheaper then buying a decent mono ccd w/ narrowband filters. But who knows what the future holds, can you imagine that Unguided Narrowband Imaging.. :)

Nadeem.

Archived