NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

102 or 120 refractor?

The 120 gathers more light, so would be more useful for galaxies/nebulae.

Fit a 2" diagonal and get a decent low power eyepiece and you have got some serious widefield kit.

Neither would be any good at higher powers due to chromatic abberation.

Steve,

I would go with the 120, take a look look at the focuser on them, i think the 102 has a older style focuser which looks pretty poor. the 120 looks that bit better (not sure it will be better but certainly looks like a better made unit)

I replaced the focusser on my st120 and it focusses nicely now, for super wide you could add the 28mm uwan/nirvana eyepiece. I am in sw London and am looking to sell my st120 as I am moving into imaging, pm me if you are interested

Cheers

PEterW

I'd recommend the ST120 any day. I got back into astro with one of these a few years ago and they are superb wide field scopes, easy to handle, lightweight and will suit even an eq3. A great grab and go scope with plenty of aperture.

Philj

We use an Orion (USA) Eon 120mm at school, it is a very nice scope and works very well as long as you don't push the magnification too much.

Everyone enjoys it tremendously, and it isn't any more bother to carry, pack or set-up than the 100 mm - much nicer views, though!

Dan

Archived