NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Worth an 8min watch

Adz

Wow, great to see it in that detail. I saw a Shuttle launch nearly 2 years ago from Titusville, amazing! Also lucky enough to see it on the pad last May.

I bet that that memory stays with you. I would love to see a launch, perhaps my friend who owns a house in Florida could arrange something...:glasses1:

Brilliant, I believe the Saturn 5 is still the most powerful spacecraft that has been launced by man :)

With the computing power of a modern day calculator!

No problem. It is amazing isn't it? The speed of that fuel coming out of the engines as it goes up somehow looks faster to me than in real time!

I always find videos like this around, share them on facebook and not many seem to care. So they shall now be shared with the people who have the right interests! :)

Great video...I love stuff like this!:)

With the computing power of a modern day calculator!

The Apollo computers were pretty amazing bits of kit (especially the capsule AGCs. The AGCs were parallel processors and computed multiple tasks at once (remember the hoo-ha a couple of years ago when Intel made the first dual core CPUs available?). In fact, calling it a computer was doing it an injustice, as it was more of an embedded system, linking to not only the DSKY interface, but the Command Module engines, PGNCS (primary guidance and navigational system), attitude controllers, optical telescopes, optical trelescope motors, radars, inertial guidance systems etc. All of this was squeezed into 36Kbs of ROM and 2Kbs of RAM (so called "rope" memory) and fitted into a cubic foot of space.

I am sure I remember a statistics that showed it actually took up to the mid-90s for normal home-computers to get to the processing levels of the AGCs, mainly as home PCs process instructions one-by-one (until the advent of dual and quad cores, that is) whereas the AGC was, as I have said, a parallel processor.

No problem. It is amazing isn't it? The speed of that fuel coming out of the engines as it goes up somehow looks faster to me than in real time!

I always find videos like this around, share them on facebook and not many seem to care. So they shall now be shared with the people who have the right interests! :o

3.5 tonnes per second, per engine! The gas turbines that drove the fuels pumps each generated about 50,000 horse power per engine.

i know what you mean about the videos. I have the video above, synched to the music from Battlestar Gallatica on my Youtube favs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXtG3vfAlA)....unfortunately most people seem content to allow the memory of Apollo to fade (visiting the old launchpads at KSC was a distressing experience, seeing how America (and NASA) is allowing so much of it's history to rot away.

Here's another good sequence of engine cams, showing one of the few full sequence tests of all five motors. You can see the engine gimbals getting a good workout too.

YouTube - Saturn V - S-1C Stage Testing 480p

I have the video above, synched to the music from Battlestar Gallatica on my Youtube favs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rXtG3vfAlA)....unfortunately most people seem content to allow the memory of Apollo to fade (visiting the old launchpads at KSC was a distressing experience, seeing how America (and NASA) is allowing so much of it's history to rot away.

Here's another good sequence of engine cams, showing one of the few full sequence tests of all five motors. You can see the engine gimbals getting a good workout too.

YouTube - Saturn V - S-1C Stage Testing 480p

You and me would get on like a house on fire! That with the Battlestar soundtrack was superb, put a lump in my thoat!

I have always wanted to go to the KSC so I am very jealous, if you find any other great videos like this, please do not hesitate to post :)

You and me would get on like a house on fire! That with the Battlestar soundtrack was superb, put a lump in my thoat!

I have always wanted to go to the KSC so I am very jealous, if you find any other great videos like this, please do not hesitate to post :)

Oh man, you are going to be sorry you said that...

42 minutes well spent:

View from the Shuttle's SRB:

View from inside a Saturn 1 LOX fuel tank (watch how quickly this thing guzzles 66,000 gallons of liquid O2:icon_eek:

YouTube - Saturn SA-6 LOX tank interior inflight, 1964

Similar view inside the LH2 tank:

YouTube - Apollo 2 LH2 tank interior inflight, 1966

The Apollo 1 Launch platform, where Grisom, Chaffee and White died in the fire. It was the saddest thing I saw there....they way the site was rotting away. Even more unbelievably, the remains of the Challenger disaster is buried in a huge pit. NASA management....crazy at times.

th_IMG_9414.jpg

IMG_9404.jpg

The Apollo 1 Launch Pad- created to start Man's first flights to another world. in the distance a Delta rocket is being prepared to launch a satellite into low Earth orbit. How far we have reversed direction in the 40 years since Apollo:confused::)

th_IMG_9411.jpg

Archived