Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics 0.8x Reducer / Flattener III

Uranium235

Hiya,

Ive been eyeing this up from FLO, but I need a couple of questions answered before I commit.

1) Will this be ok with an ED80?

2) Is there a nailed-on, tried and trusted configuration that will allow me to use this with the 314L+ and (19mm thick) filter wheel? Im assuming that it should be 55mm from the chip, so id like to hear from anyone thats used one of these with a CCD.

Many thanks! :glasses1:

I use the WO FR III on my ED80 and without a doubt it improves the star shapes at the edge of the FOV on my APS sized sensor. However, I feel that those at the real periphery become a little 'spiky' you can only see this at full resolution but the spiky stars are there. The WO FR is beautifully engineered complete with 360 degree rotatable mount which can be very handy for getting the framing right.

Can't comment of the 314L+ and 19mm thick filter wheel other than to say that it will fit because it fits my H9C/19mm filter wheel and you will have more extension to play with using the 314L than I have with my CCD camera. You may have to do as I did and get a custom made adapter turned up for you.

Edited to remove superfluous word!

Thanks Steve, good to know it works then. I already have a 15mm extension so that would take me up to about 50mm if I include the male t adapter and rubber O ring I use to prevent overtightening. It will be a bit of trial and error at first I guess, but hopefully I could bodge something together :glasses1:

Will I have to take into account any filters that are in place when getting the spacing right?

I know its primarily designed for larger format chips, but on close inspection of some of my most recent work, the ED80 field still isnt completely flat even on a 285 sized chip but spikey stars wont come into it unless I fire up the old 1000d . Its primary use will be as a good FR, but I really like the idea of a rotateable mount.

Thanks for the info.

Rob

Will I have to take into account any filters that are in place when getting the spacing right?

I know its primarily designed for larger format chips, but on close inspection of some of my most recent work, the ED80 field still isnt completely flat even on a 285 sized chip but spikey stars wont come into it unless I fire up the old 1000d . Its primary use will be as a good FR, but I really like the idea of a rotateable mount.

Light will be diffracted by the filters but not enough to upset the spacing.

I use both an APS and 285 sized sensor and the WO FR III works perfectly with the 285 with no spiky stars at all, they are only apparent on the APS although even these are a great improvement on having no FR.

I have the SW dedicated 120ED flattener/reducer and it works a real treat combined with my Canon 1000D, as the SW adaptor you need for the DSLR to flattener puts the spacing spot on.

With a cooled CCD camera getting the spacing right may be tricky.

Full frame picture taken with the combo here - http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/101357-m81-82-120ed.html

Thanks for the demo Martin, I can see where it goes all wrong in the corners.

Ive also considered the SW reducer, but 0.85x is a bit too moderate. It costs

more, and it would tie me to one scope. I'll have a think about it and look to see if there are any other alternatives before making the decision.

Cheers

Archived