Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Full Moon brightness effect

I have a question about the Moon.

When it is full, it bathes the sky with light and it makes several of the weaker objects invisible even by telescope. Up to what magnitude does an object cease to be visible in the presence of full moonlight? Or does it only depend on the scope one is using?

It does depend a bit on the scope but any light in the sky, whether moon-made or man-made washes out deep sky objects. Galaxies and nebulae are particularly affected and even the brightest become almost invisible. Open and globular clusters seem slightly less affected but still won't be seen at their best. It's best to stick to planetary or double star viewing when there is a lot of moonlight in the sky.

It has a massive effect on imaging too.

You can get results on some emission nebulae under moonlight with low bandwidth narrowband filters, and clusters are possible, but with the moon like it is tonight, and, round here, with a bit of high haze scattering the light, you're better off getting a good night's sleep :)

Why does it always seem to be clear when there's a full moon :glasses1:

Can't agree with the above enough, tried to spot M42 on Saturday night, couldn't spot a thing even though I was looking in the exact place.

Same thing happened to me a couple of months back. Not hide nor hair of M42 to be seen then under a full moon. Its the only time i have failed to see M42.

Then at other times i have spotted galaxies in Leo while there was a full moon. I was using my 20X90 bins then though.

Archived