Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8" standard or 8" flextube Dob?

I have a mind to add a Dobsonian to my gear and think an 8" likely to be the biggest I'd go for.

Now I like the clean look & simplicity if the push-it-yourself Skywatcher in a fetching white and the idea I can leave this assembled in the garage so I can grab & go with no setup to worry about.

But I also like the idea of the flextube and the 'easy' alignment/tracking option as well as the shrink to an R2D2 lookalike. But is the open design that much of a bother, needing more frequent collimation and is the 'easy' alignment really that simple?

How to choose if they were priced the same? Other than Harry Hill style fight-off.

Any flextube owners regretted no going for the simpler option or vice versa?

Steve

Flextube minuses: the light leaking into the open section can cause issues. The secondary is more exposed making dewing much more likely. Maintaining collimation is likely to be more difficult. Extra setup time.

Flextube plus: more compact carriage & storage.

Steve,

I spent a few weeks mulling things over on the SW 10" dobs (tube and flex tube) and the Meade dobs.In the end I settled for the standard tube 10"PX model and hope to have it arrive on Monday.

The 8" standard tube dob is at a very good price. Have you considered the extra money you would have to fork out for the 8" flex tube with tracking,you have to consider power supply,(batteries or powertank)a shroud and extra set up time,the flextube may require extra tweaks with collimation each time the flex tube is set up. To me it was not worth the extra cost if you have the space.

The extra money you would pay on the flex tube and extras items could buy a 10" dob and still leave money left over for one or two quality eyepieces.

Jon

Hmm, I wondered if this was one of those 'marmite' questions. I think I'm swaying over to the standard tube as it's more grab & go.

8" inch will be enough for me as this scope is on addition to my nexstar 4se, so I can share the eyepieces between them.

Biggest off put is the boxes they come in! Garage space is getting cramped If I keep them as well.

Hope there is stock around as well.

Steve

Steve

When I ordered the SW 10" dob last Saturday I was told a shipment had recently arrived in the UK and SW stocks were returning to normal after Christmas and the rush after Star Gazing live for new telescopes.

If you order a telescope ring up first to avoid any delays if the scope you want just happens to be the one out of stock.

Jon

Hi Steve

IMO i do not see any point in truss dobs under 12".

There is just no advantage in the smaller sizes that i can see.

Plus you've gotta faff about with light shields.

I would go solid tube every time.

Regards steve

Having owned both types, I'd agree with this. Solid tube for me now even if I go for a 12" again sometime.

Please join me in a quick pray for clear skies this weekend

Pray all you like, there is a two week supply of clouds in the box ... I hope you remembered to check the "no rain option" box on the order form, or already have started constructing your ark :glasses1:

fedex man pulled up this morning as I was leaving to go to work, so the 2 boxes with my 8" dob are sitting patiently at home. Good news is work has a power shutdown/upgrade this weekend so an early night.

So clouds, clouds go away come back another day (preferbaly when it's daylight).

All assembled today and if my collimation cap test was correct it's all aligned OK. Struggled to find how to connect a DSLR (if and when I get around to using that on the dob) but eventually found it by unscrewing the 1.5" to 2" adaptor and checkewd my 't' adaptor fitted.

Need to align the finder scope but the weather was damp and overcast so that will wait.

With all that light gathering stuff available now all I need is a weather break.

Once again thanks for the comments about which dob to get.

Steve

Oh and did I mention how suprised I was at how big it is in the flesh!

Archived