Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie Narrowed down!!

I put a post on about a week ago and got lots of advice off people .....i've changed my mind then changed it again and now changed it again ;)

My plan is just to observe DSO'S and planets in greater detail.

I had a budget...now the budget has gone up and i think i've managed to get down to 2 choices!!

I know the GOTO v's the manual is a big debatable topic with no real right or wrong answer so one of my choices is a GOTO and the other is an auto with the option to go to GOTO at a later date.

Here are my 2 choices and i hope i can get feedback from people with experience and knowledge of either. I't going to be at least a few months yet but in between i'll be getting a good book (recommended) to brush up on.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5 GOTO

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 250P FlexTube AUTO

I'm starting to save already so just looking forward to hearing peoples opinions and sorry for sounding similiar to my other post if you read that.

Clear skies to you all real REAL soon i hope

Gaz

:)

Hi Gaz,

Looks like you have given it some serious thought - those are 2 fine scopes you have singled out there.

My personal choice would be to go for the simplicity and additional aperture of the 10" dobsonian.

If you had been interested in moving into imaging I would have swayed back towards the equatorially mounted scope but for visual I reckon a 10" dobsonian is hard to beat. The auto-tracking will remove the need for "nudge tracking" at high powers which puts some folk off dobsonians.

Hi John

Yeah some serious thought indeed...followed by serious headaches...followed by changes of mind...followed by....i could go on and on ;):eek::)

I remember you saying about aperture being important so i chose the dob as a bigger aperture but also with the option of modding it to a GOTO later so i suppose having the best of both worlds.

Still got more serious thought between the 2 but if it's only 2 to choose from it maybe a little easier :)

As John says,you really need to be sure you won't want to mount the scope equatorally at a later date, thats the main avenue you are closing off by getting the 10" flextube.

I agree with GazOC, if you are 100% sure you are not going to want to mount the scope on EQ mount, then the dob is the one i would go for, i had a 10inch dob, then the imaging bug got a hold and i sold it, but the views through it were top notch.

Good luck, i'm sure you will get more advice very soon:icon_salut:

Hi Gaz

If your observing is going to be visual deep sky then the bigger scope is the one to go for.

8" is a good size for deep sky observing but 10" is obviously better.

You didn't say whether it is your first scope or not?

If it is i would consider a scope with a f/ ratio of 6 or longer, as it would be more of an all round scope as you never know which type of observing you will enjoy most until you get your feet wet.

If it is your second purchase and your sure that deep sky is your area. IMO i would not spend money on electrickery and buy a manual 10" and use the saved money to get a good 2" wide field eyepiece.

Regards Steve

I'm getting a strong sense for the dob from you guys and i'm not planning on going down the imaging road....well not yet i don't think but you know how these things change :):)!!

This would be my 2nd scope Steve as i have the celestron 114eq...the scope thats got me so into this so quickly. The appeal for the goto is strong i have to say as i feel i'd still learn a lot about the skies with it but i do also have to say the auto dob gives me the choice to upgrade to a goto later so i wouldn't really have to buy another scope for goto!

Really appreciating everyones time and advice though so thanks a lot guys ;)

Archived