NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY quadruplet achromat

jnp

I fancied a go at wide field astrophotography for a change, but I only have long focal length scopes. I could go and buy another scope, but that would be a waste of a good bodging opportunity :)

Here's a cheeky quadruplet. The outer objective lens is a Meade 90mm F9 (bought of an SGL member). There is also a Meade 70mm F8.5 halfway inside. The 'quadruplet' is therefore two cheapish achromat doublets. The combination of doublets is behaving like a focal reducer. By changing the distance of the lenses, via a tube within tube & hose clip arrangement, I can vary the effective focal length according to the formula in this Focal Reducer Calculator link. It's giving about F5.3 at the moment.

This didn't cost me any extra as I cannibalised my dormant long FL drainpipe refractor and already had the 70mm F8.5 lens and plastic tubing handy.

My first light astro full frame image is here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/129716-rosette-first-light-diy-quad-acro.html

The vignetting/coma with a DSLR sensor and CA performance is better than I thought, but I need to try this without the Baader UHC-S filter to be sure.

It's not going to match an ED apo performance, but this will open up targets otherwise two large for an 8" Newt.

thanks for looking

John

post-15143-133877533235_thumb.jpg

post-15143-133877533248_thumb.jpg

Brilliant! Really like the shot of the Rosette as well.

A colleague of mine mentioned he once picked up a collection of all sorts of (mainly doublet) lenses from some car boot sale (about EUR 10 for a box full of old lenses). We have been thinking of building various bits of kit with it. Maybe this is the way to go

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

It would be good to develop this further to modify the F ratio on the fly.

cheers

John

Now that would be something, a zoom scope instead of a zoom eyepiece, just adjust the FL of the scope to the object your imaging:cool:

Philj

Very interesting & a great photo. Can I just check- what's to stop someone with an ED100 and an ED80 mounting the lens cells 500mm apart and ending up with something akin to a 100mm F5.4(not too dissimilar to a Tv NP101?). Are there other aberrations that come into play?

just adjust the FL of the scope to the object your imaging

I can sort of already do that by reducing the gap between the lenses and extending the focuser out. The snag is that the R&P focuser is happiest when its not extended very far. A genuine zoon scope that keeps focus is probaby beyond my bodging!

Are there other aberrations that come into play?

I am not sure if this will compromise the performance of using premium ED optics, but I certainly hope you will top of performance of the £20 of lenses I used! I would expected this amplify coma a bit. Colimation is also critical. Messing about with ED optics also sounds a risky too.

Archived