SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomy Locations

Nikki82

Hi Everyone.

I live in Darlington in North East England. I was just wanting some opinions on good locations within 100miles to go stargazing.

I'm pretty new to astronomy and I know of Wynyard which is close to me but my brother and I really want to make a bit of a weekend trip every now and then.

Any ideas guys

Thanks

Head north and west. You'll get decent dark skies in County Durham (e.g. Derwent Reservoir), and darker at Kielder. The main light-pollution source for the whole region is of course Newcastle/Gateshead/Sunderland: the darkest skies are north of there and if you also head west then you're putting the light domes away from the southern horizon that you want to be looking at. I should imagine that Alston is pretty dark though I've never observed there - you could try heading in that direction. Last time I observed in North York Moors I was disappointed by the extent of light pollution, though I'm quite fussy. As long as you can see the Milky Way clearly with the naked eye you'll be OK, and you don't need to drive 100 miles from Darlington for that.

Hi Nikki82 I also live in Darlington and have been researching some local dark sky locations. I have relatives that live near Piercebridge and, whilst not the darkest of skies, having a kettle and warm room handy is a plus!

Also I've heard that one of the local astronomy clubs (Sunderland) head up to Derwent reservoir every so often which is about an hours drive up the A68 from Darlington so, whilst I have yet to go there myself I presume its a really good spot.

If you are looking to get away for a weekend then I can recommend going to Kielder, it's quite magical up there under clear starry skies. The camp site has really good amenities, there will be lots of friendly people to help you out if needs be and the observatory is well worth a visit.

If you are interested in going to Kielder there may still be places for the spring star camp at the end of this month, check out the Sunderland Astronomy Club website Sunderland Astronomical Society who organise the spring event.

Neill

Head north and west. You'll get decent dark skies in County Durham (e.g. Derwent Reservoir), and darker at Kielder. The main light-pollution source for the whole region is of course Newcastle/Gateshead/Sunderland: the darkest skies are north of there and if you also head west then you're putting the light domes away from the southern horizon that you want to be looking at. I should imagine that Alston is pretty dark though I've never observed there - you could try heading in that direction. Last time I observed in North York Moors I was disappointed by the extent of light pollution, though I'm quite fussy. As long as you can see the Milky Way clearly with the naked eye you'll be OK, and you don't need to drive 100 miles from Darlington for that.

Thank you so much for this advise, with being new to astronomy i was pretty clueless, i apreciate the good advice :)

You might find the Philips Dark Sky Map helpfull

Amazon.co.uk: philips dark skies map: Books

I own it and have organised a few family breaks around it!

John

Worth snapping this up as per John's advice - Widescreen Centre tell me it's no longer in print and when sold out, that's it.

Alternatively, look at locations on the night sky simulator here <click> about a third of the way down the page - it's a brilliant tool.

Worth snapping this up as per John's advice - Widescreen Centre tell me it's no longer in print and when sold out, that's it.

Alternatively, look at locations on the night sky simulator here <click> about a third of the way down the page - it's a brilliant tool.

thanks this was really handy. i love the way it shows the light pollution.

Also great reviews on the book bullyeye. Im definitely be trying to get that this week

Hi Everyone.

I live in Darlington in North East England. I was just wanting some opinions on good locations within 100miles to go stargazing.

I'm pretty new to astronomy and I know of Wynyard which is close to me but my brother and I really want to make a bit of a weekend trip every now and then.

Any ideas guys

Thanks

Hi there are a few of us on this forum from Sunderland astro. Yes Derwent is our local dark sky site that we go to when the moon phase is right. Get in touch either through the sunderland astro website or pm me or jarralad for further info. The water authority have to be notified before we go and the car park unlocked so unfortunately we cannot just go unannounced:(. we meet on the second and third sundays at the wetland trust in washington. dont know if that is a bit far for you.

Archived