Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Apomax 133mm f/12

Hi Folks,

I hope I can get this photo to post! Here is my big refractor - it is an Apomax 133mm f/12, 3-element, objective - absolutely fabulous views for lunar and planetary work!

The scope is shown here on a Celestron CGEM mount - it is seriously undermounted and this setup really doesn't do very well for anything other than visual work. The mount is on my front patio here in the desert - lovely most nights... if you don't mind the heat (40-45 C or more in the summer) or the earthquakes (3.7 yesterday morning with breakfast!).

Dan

Wow! That's a serious looking scope!

So, if I've got this right, it's an f12 apochromat?

It must give superb views, but what's the rationale for such a long focal length? (Not that it's a bad thing).

And who makes such a beast?

Sorry for all the questions - but I just love big refractors!

Yes, it is a monster Apochromat - it was made by Fred Mrozek (I'm probably butchering his name!). Fred was a master optician who tried to break into the super-premium refractor biz ala Teleview and AstroPhysics. He only made 23 of these beauties, each is hand figured to better than 1/25th wave. The views are amazing, but the focuser is a bit crude... they didn't have the nice variable speed focusers commonly available back in the early 90's.

It is also bigger than it looks, with dew shield can focuser extended - the OTA hits almost 7-feet in length and weighs in at about 20 kg. Seriously strains the CGEM - I'm saving pennies now for a Losmandy Titan or an Astro Physics AP900 mount. Maybe there's a sickly rich auntie somewhere I don't remember who has me in her will??? :)

Dan

Wow! That's a serious looking scope!

So, if I've got this right, it's an f12 apochromat?

It must give superb views, but what's the rationale for such a long focal length? (Not that it's a bad thing).

And who makes such a beast?

Sorry for all the questions - but I just love big refractors!

Excellent scope ;) Is it heavy :)

Yes, 20 Kg, 190cm with dew cap and focuser in action.

Seriously too much for the CGEM - Roland Christiansen from Astrophysics said I needed at least an AP-900 to handle a tube that long and heavy.....

Oh... My aching wallet!!!

Still saving up for that! ;)

Dan

That CN review is excellent! Still, hard to describe the experience of viewing with it! I can commonly do things with it that others find amazing:

--> See Galilean moons as disks

--> See structure in the rings: Cassini gap, Encke gap, radial spokes

--> See & track change in size of Martian polar cap over period of weeks

--> Splits doubles like nothing you ever saw

--> Lunar color and detail are absolutely amazing. Views along the terminator in good seeing are better than many photos, 400-600x is routinely possible in the desert with good seeing. Photos with this baby and my Canon 5D outstrip most atlas photos from the textbooks. The Apollo boys did better, but they had a little higher perch than I did!

Oh, one more thing - the Apomax will absolutely redefine everything you ever thought you knew about "portable" telescopes. ;)

Observing with a 7-ft tube also requires some special kit - when at the zenith, the eyepiece is 20" from the ground, while at the horizon, the eyepiece is 60" off the ground! :) Designed and built my own folding observing chair that goes from 12" to 43" off the ground. ;)

Dan

post-24566-133877531904_thumb.jpg

That is a stunning scope! I am very curious to see photographic results.

Hello Michael,

I've done a few lunar shots, not much more because it is WAY too much scope for the poor little CGEM! Lunar photos can be done with such a short exposure that tracking doesn't matter much.

I'll have to dig around in the home PC and see if I have some good ones and post them!

Dan

Hi Dan

That's one awesome looking scope you got there.

Plus you live in the desert. Man you got it tough!!:)

Regards Steve

Only in the summers... or when the Earth shakes!

We usually have 40+ days per year over 40 C, and 45 C (and up) is not unknown. It gives a whole new meaning to "cool down time" :)

We had a "little" 3.7 quake just last Saturday morning - those don't even phase me anymore. I've been in 3 over 6.0 in the last 30 years here - and that's enough!!!

Still, I can't complain - I don't often have to wait more than a day or two for good observing weather. I have so much in the way of clear skies that I sometimes let some clear nights go by! ;)

Still, if you get out this way, let me know - I could take you all the way out to the Mojave high desert - makes this area I'm in look like a moist lowland bog! The Riverside Astronomical Society (our local observer's group) has a permanent site there at about 5200 ft elevation, humidity hovers around 5-10% all year.

Absolutely beautiful!!! (Unless you like the color green!)

Dan

Archived