Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star party observation list

Tarazed

Hi all!

I'm helping with a star party in Kielder on the 26th February taking my C11 telescope for members of the public to have a peek through.

I'm relatively new to Astronomy and as it's my first star party I am preparing a 'schedule' of objects to observe so to cover a selection of as many different types as possible.

Here's what I've come up with so far, can any one see any notable omissions or perhaps suggest some recommendations?

Planets - Jupiter (setting early evening), Saturn (rising 22:00)

Nebulae - M43, M78, M1

Galaxies - M31, M51, M66, M81/M82

Globulars - NGC1432, M35, M44

Double stars - Mizar/Alcor, Castor, Almach, 24 Coma B.

Many thanks,

Neill

Presume that M43 is also M42?

While covering Mizer/Alcor I would consider pointing out M108, M109 and M97. The reason is that they are in the same constellation and being circumpolar they are visible all year for budding astronomers.

Eta Casseiopia is another coloured double, again circumpolar.

Casseiopia has a few clusters in it.

M45, Pleiades?

Many thanks for the feedback thus far!

Swamp Thing - will add the three clusters in Auriga and thanks for the tip regarding the Eskimo planetry nebula, that should go down well!

Capricorn - Yes M43 is just above M42 and is part of the Great Orion Nebula, I like your idea to identify circumpolar objects.

Mike - thanks for your tip on the website, I've gathered a few more ideas from using it! Yes both Karen and I will be at Kielder star party at the end of this month, look forward to seeing you there!

Once I've compiled my list I'll post it here in case anyone else might like to use it! Thanks again!

Neill

Archived