NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

diy spider for my dob

ponytale

i have started making the spider /secondary mirror holder for my dob , i have the idea of a moveable spider because i want to have 2 interchangeable mirrors of differing f ratios in one tube/ota, i am thinking of a spider in a ring that can be moved up and down the ota to 2 preset places to keep close collimation , has this been done before ? or something similar ?.

i am using .5mm x 26mm sheet brass for the mirror supports and the ring see pics of spider, any ideas welcome,

post-18854-133877530333_thumb.jpg

post-18854-133877530342_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you started this thread as I'll be making one in the future! I suspect your plan will be scuppered by the focuser?

would it be better / easier to have two positions for the primaries? if you are taking the primary and cell out anyway.......

focuser!Doh why didn't i think of that moonshane,thats what i like about this forum every one is helpful !! ps, im liking your eq platform / dob project,i have some stepper motors ready for motorizing my dob later on, i intend using arduino motor shieldvia laptop usb. Mick/doc i like the idea of adjustable truss poles as i could have 2 mirror cells to swap over, and it will be more portable, i have some adjustable ski /walking poles in glass /carbon fibre perhaps they could be utilized as adjustable poles as they are very strong , light, and lock very sturdily? my mind is in overdrive already, must get to draw some plans , i will let you know how i get on.

good idea but if going from eg f6 to f4.5, he'd need very long secondary adjusters?

Good point.

Also with switching F-numbers surely you'd need to adjust the curvature of the primary mirror and not just the secondary?

hi all, just to clarify a few points , the original post said that i was thinking of an adjustable spider so that i could use 2 mirrors , i do have 2 mirrors both same diam and thickness one is around f5 for dso's the other will be around f6.5/f7 for lunar/ planetary,

the dob i have made is quite sturdy with a 600mm diam base with 6.5" alt bearings and a box type central ota/tube holder which my ota slides in and out of , the idea was to have a spider that could suit both mirrors but as moonshane said the focuser needs to stay inline with the secondary mirror, so i am looking at adjustable truss design instead which means i can swap mirrors and adjust the secondary spider ring to correct FL for either mirror, i have a 10 diam tube which i can cut to make the mirror box and the focuser ring and a piece to fill the bearing box, with adjustable poles through the bearing box corners , so it will still fit in my dob base , the estimated difference between F/L is 330mm /13" i will probably have the poles adjustable through the bearing box for balancing purposes as well as adjustable in length for focus , drawings added

scope adjust.doc

truss draft.doc

Archived