Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guidescopes

Rossco72

Hi all,

Quick question, is there any advantage to gettting a larger objective guidescope?

The Skywatcher ST80, ST102, ST120 and ST150 are all f5 but is the extra light grasp an advantage?

Weight isn't really a consideration so I am more interested in whether or not the guiding would be easier / better with brighter stars?

Cheers

The larger apertures, have longer focal lengths, and therefore narrower fields of view. Given they are all f/5, and that's the key to imaging, then you want the widest FOV you can get, the typical guidecam has a pretty small sensor, and therefore a pretty narrow FOV anyway...

Longer focal lengths may mean more accurate guiding, but the narrower field may mean less chance of finding a guide star (without moving the scope in the rings).

I think there used to be a formula suggested for the minimum focal length of a guidescope compared to that of the imaging scope, although it may no longer apply with sub-pixel guiding calculations.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question from me on the topic of guidescopes (apologies if I am hijacking another point).

On another thread I was asking about ideal grab & go scopes. Various options were put such as a Megrez 72, TS 80, Lomo 80, etc.

Would I be able to use these as a guidescope for my FLT 98 or am I better sticking to the standard suggestions.

Just trying to keep the amount of kit down to a minimum.

The ST80 is spot on in terms of aperture and focal length, just a shame the focuser is cack. There is a lot of movement when you lock up and it is common to lose the guide star in the process.

Before the ST80, I used a ZS80FD with a 0.63 SCT reducer and it gave an even wider FOV with the benefit of a decent focuser, and no need for extension tubes.

I currently use a Megrez 72FD which lacks the light grab and short focal length of the ST80 but makes up for it with a quality focuser.

The ST80 is great but needs to have the focuser bolted down. Once the whole lot is tight I never touch it.Focus is not critical for guiding. Some even say being a bit soft helps the centroid calculation. I haven't touched mine in a year.

Olly

Archived