NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

One for the PAM experts

Hi all

Been struggling with PAM over the past few weeks and finally got it to work with the help of SteveL.

Question is I'm not sure what I'm aiming for, I attach a copy of my results before and after PAM. Should I be happy with what I have or keep adjusting?

cheers Jon

post-14336-133877528719_thumb.jpg

post-14336-13387752873_thumb.jpg

Pole Align Max, from the same people who wrote FocusMax.

Effectively to takes an image (with MaximDL), plate solves to find image centre RA/DEC, then slews in RA only, and repeats twice more.

From those three RA/DEC points, it can draw a straight line, between them and determine the polar offset.

It then allows you to move the mount as required by showing the star on screen, and showing you where to move it to with the Alt bolts and the Az bolts in two steps.

When it works (and you have the routine sorted), it works very quickly. When you dont follow the instructions as it needs to be done, it gets very messy...

Well I'll be doing a general Automation demo but can look at specifics as people need

Great, I was hoping for something like this, I need to automate my wife to bring me a coffee in the obsy on an hourly basis, but cant find the setting or even a manual on the internet for controlling her. Odd, because I am sure she has one for me:icon_scratch:

:(

Great, I was hoping for something like this, I need to automate my wife to bring me a coffee in the obsy on an hourly basis, but cant find the setting or even a manual on the internet for controlling her. Odd, because I am sure she has one for me:icon_scratch:

:(

that feature was dropped from the beta girl friend version when the official wife version was released.

Its the telescope alignment error that is the important one. 3 arcmin by 7 arcmin is pretty damn good.

QUOTE]

Sorry, bit late in this thread but be aware that the current PAM is stuck at the year 2000. We have had 11 years of precession since then which means the error shown in PAM is not accurate. I think a newer version is planned to take account of the precession. Also you should be aiming for the refracted pole and I don't know what PAM measures (true or refracted). The Focusmax yahoo group covers PAM so you could consider joining up and asking there too.

I also striggled to find out what a "good" polar alignment should be and the general consensus seems to be you want to be within 1 minute of the pole; difficult with the current PAM but I now use T-point. Of course the accuracy needed is dependent on your planned exposure and focal length.

Paul

Archived