Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Night of galaxies.

cotterless45

Last night and this morning were incredibly clear and dark in middle England. From the patio and shielded from 7 streetlights;

Leo;M65 and 66 were bright and detailed. M96 group appeared in the eyepiece.Leo was getting higher in the South, time to swing across to ;

Virgo; the area was awash with galaxies M85 and M100 being the brightest, time to swing on to;

Coma Bernices;M64 (Blackeye ), saw some details in the fuzz! M53;tight small globular, onto;

Ursa Major;M97,M109,M51,M101,M81,82 were all directly overhead and all different in details. Enough in this area, just for one session.Then N to

Lyra and the Ring Nebula, brighly glowing, finally;

Hercules; I always say cheerio before departing, M13 was stunning and M92 was impressive. Finished up at Hercules right foot with cluster Abell 2151, acluster of interacting young galaxies.

The night was just a procession of constellations and sights, found all these by star hopping and Telrad.Eyepieces 21mm Hyperion,12mm Bst.10" Lightbridge.

It really is a superb time of year to get out and appreciate what's around us.This was the first time that I'd seen most of these and it was WOW!!!

Last night and this morning were incredibly clear and dark in middle England. From the patio and shielded from 7 streetlights;

Leo;M65 and 66 were bright and detailed. M96 group appeared in the eyepiece.Leo was getting higher in the South, time to swing across to ;

Virgo; the area was awash with galaxies M85 and M100 being the brightest, time to swing on to;

Coma Bernices;M64 (Blackeye ), saw some details in the fuzz! M53;tight small globular, onto;

Ursa Major;M97,M109,M51,M101,M81,82 were all directly overhead and all different in details. Enough in this area, just for one session.Then N to

Lyra and the Ring Nebula, brighly glowing, finally;

Hercules; I always say cheerio before departing, M13 was stunning and M92 was impressive. Finished up at Hercules right foot with cluster Abell 2151, acluster of interacting young galaxies.

The night was just a procession of constellations and sights, found all these by star hopping and Telrad.Eyepieces 21mm Hyperion,12mm Bst.10" Lightbridge.

It really is a superb time of year to get out and appreciate what's around us.This was the first time that I'd seen most of these and it was WOW!!!

nice report - there's something unbeatable about finding galaxies from your back garden...:(

Welldone! That's a lot of objects for one night. How many hours it all take? Which book or star map were you using to help with locating the objects? Were these the objects you planned to see before beginning the observing session?

Alan

Yep,the Lightbridge sits inside in a corner next to the patio window.

I made a base to hold the tube ( out of an old MFI beside cabinet with 2 half circles cut out to hold the az bearings),so that I can then move the Meade base out and put the tube on it. It holds collimation very well.

I got up at 2am and packed in at 4am.

I have a Telrad finder and a set of Telrad charts of the Messiers and the Caldwells

Utah Skies -- Deep Sky Observer's Page

Caldwell Telrad Finder Charts

I got these printed out and put in an A4 envelope file.I made an index of constellations, M's and ngcs.

I couldn't find anything for ages using optical finders.It was very frustrating and time wasting.

In addition I try and remember triangles and straight lines, don't think you're going to be bang on!It's all curved up there!!

I also put down anything else that's good to view on the charts either from The illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders or mags like Atlas of the Stars/Sky at Night ;deep sky tours.I try and do a list of objects or a challenge of the evening.

I hope this helps, the maps are getting pretty congested!Sometimes it's good just to "do" one constellation.

What is amazing is that the seeing conditions vary so much, even when the sky appears "clear".

It was either this route or getting a Goto system.However for me that's a big investment for a few nights a month.

After seeing all these wonders, I can then look them up and find out about what I was seeing, especially the large fox who came out of the hedge and scared the life out of me! I thought that the neighbour's cat had put on weight.

Clear skies, Nick.

The telrad maps look good. I've just ordered myself a quikfinder, so i'll probably be able too use them, if I just look at the 2degree ring. A quick google search also brought up these which list by constellation too which look useful Sky Maps

It seems that you had a fantastic night! I have never seen so many Messier objects in one night. I guess it's because I become too "involved" with them. I really want to study and then before I know it,.. my hands are frozen solid and I need to come in!

Isabelle

Yep, no danger of "twiching"!

With our sky here, you're lucky to see anything at all. I had not seen about 1/3 of these, so I used a 30mm (GSO) to locate, a 21mm(Hyperion) wideview and a 12mm(Explorer Bst) to have a good look. With a 1270mm tube , these seem to do the job.

I'd be lost without the Telrad though.I also keep a notebook to bore the family!

Nick.

Archived