Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's that in the sky?!

StarryEyes

This will probably sound like a really silly question but what is that bright object below and just slightly off to the left of the moon at this moment in time?

My friend thinks it's the space station. I always thought it was a planet, like Venus?

Big bright stationary objects are usually planets, the space station is about as bright as Jupiter, or brighter sometimes, but it really zips across the sky. You can see when it would be visible to you on the Heavens Above website

Alternatively, by consulting the free program Stellarium you will be able to see very clearly what object or star is what at any given time of day or night :)

HTH

Tim

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me.

Also, thanks Tim for the links. I love Stellarium, think I'll be playing on that all night now!

Is Jupiter always in the same place in relation to the moon then, and can we only see certain planets at certain times of the year?

Jupiter moves round the sky, or rather the earth spins giving the impression it does but Jupiter's orbiting the sun too. The moon changes of course and it won't always be in the same part of the sky. If you fancy seeing Venus, you'll need to get up before daybreak and look to the South-ish. You won't miss it as it's the brightest thing in the sky apart from the sun and the moon - much brighter than Jupiter!

Yes, but Venus orbits the Sun, so sometimes you can see it in the early morning sky and sometimes in the early evening sky, depending on where it is in it's orbit. As it is closer to the sun than Earth it is never too far from the Sun and as night comes we turn away from it.

Carole

Yes, but Venus orbits the Sun, so sometimes you can see it in the early morning sky and sometimes in the early evening sky, depending on where it is in it's orbit. As it is closer to the sun than Earth it is never too far from the Sun and as night comes we turn away from it.

Carole

yes but we orbit the black hole in the galatic center and well..... oh my head hurts mum.....

Archived