Red Lights for my Motorhome

As I will be observing from just outside my motorhome it seemed to me that fitting it out internally with some red LEDs might preserve my night vision whilst allowing my good lady to find her way around inside. Anyone done this or similar?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use one of these in the caravan and one in the awning. Just get a 40W red bulb from Maplins to put in them. Dead handy - saves all the fuss with red cellophane/acetate, you can hook 'em anywhere (tent poles etc) and minmal cost (about a fiver each with bulb).

Just plugs into the vans 3-pin mains socket :)

Clip On Bulb Holder Light

I use a clip on - like Brantuk's -with a red bulb inside the motorcaravan, and I also have red film taped over the ceiling light in the loo.

Tell your wife the red lights are romantic (for when you come in cold at 3am).

Allan

I use a clip on - like Brantuk's -with a red bulb inside the motorcaravan, and I also have red film taped over the ceiling light in the loo.

Tell your wife the red lights are romantic (for when you come in cold at 3am).

Allan

Like your style :)

Hi All,

Sorry about that, the original link was put on using my iPad and for some reason was no good. Changed it now and showing the proper item.

Would appreciate it if anyone has good or bad to say about these rope lights. I thought they would be good use at SGL6.

Regards

Chris

I have seen short lengths of this for cable runs to equipment just so folks don't trip on cables in the dark.

Also seen red only fairy lights used. But I'd imagine you'd want to be careful about placement so as not to upset viewing at the ep.

The red light on my 800 is a real pain being right under the diagonal - the glow is disturbing when looking in the ep :)

Hi Bran,

Thanks for the info.

My idea was to put the rope around the edge of my awning on the RV. I normally have other lights but they are not red.

I would also make a strip or two to put inside the RV.

I have a head light and will be buying a couple of red led torches.

Gerber Recon White LED Torch + Red/Blue/Green Lenses

Expensive but look good!

Celestron RED LED Torch

Seem cheap enough.

I am also investigating these:

http://www.source-promo.com/index.php?javascript=yes〈=en&urlchk=2&detail=LA19013_SRR&pnm=LED+Torch+ESBO+RED

Have asked the company to send me a sample.

Best regards

Chris

The gerber looks very good with a choice of lenses and the little keyring one looks interesting and very handy. I have the previous Celestron model which is quite good.

Rope light round the awning might not be a bad idea. I try to ensure that from outside my awning no more than a faint red glow is seen. So if ropelight does that then I'd be happy.

Inside the caravan we can draw all the blinds so it's never a problem - but I still keep it red cos you get a lot of light out of the translucent roof lites and sun roof - they have to stay open so you can vent a good brew on a cold night :)

Hi Bran,

Once again thanks for the advice.

The RV has two stage day and night blinds, but I don't think the night ones are good enough hence putting in a strip or two in the living and sleeping rooms.

If the keyring one is any good I might just get a few made up for my company.

The Gerber certainly seems a nice bit of kit and dual purpose which obviously makes it more useful.

Best regards

Chris

Some of these LED lights, even though red, can be quite intense, and will be very distracting to obsevers. I'm sure some imagers will be disturbed by them too.

I'm not suggesting you don't use them, but at a star party the size and population SGL6 is going to be, you must be prepared to adhere to the wishes of anyone who does find them distracting.

If using rope lengths that are long, perhaps they can be switched in groups, which gives you some control over the numbers lit at any one time. I have a string of red leds around the top of my pier in the Obs. When on full 12 volts, they are really blinding. I now have them plugged into my Dew controller, and I can turn the Potentiometer on that output to a comfortable brightness level.

I'm not being a Kiljoy guys, just thinking that not everyone will appreciate Blackpool illumination type of lights, red or any other colour.:glasses1:

Ron.

Ron

Hi Ron,

There is no question about being a killjoy, if the lights are no good I won't buy them. It just appeared from comments that they would be OK.

Don't have any issues of not using them, but do need to find some kind of low illumination.

Best regards

Chris

Sorry if I misled you there Chris - re-reading this thread I maybe didn't make it clear enough that it really needs to be totally dark outside.

My awning is heavy duty material and contains a low red light very well. The van is totally shielded when my blinds are drawn but I still use red cos of the roof lites of which I only leave one open over the kettle.

Wouldn't want to get you in trouble with the folks at SGL6 :glasses1:

The gerber looks very good with a choice of lenses and the little keyring one looks interesting and very handy. I have the previous Celestron model which is quite good.

Rope light round the awning might not be a bad idea. I try to ensure that from outside my awning no more than a faint red glow is seen. So if ropelight does that then I'd be happy.

Inside the caravan we can draw all the blinds so it's never a problem - but I still keep it red cos you get a lot of light out of the translucent roof lites and sun roof - they have to stay open so you can vent a good brew on a cold night :glasses1:

I've got roof vent blinds but I've just realised the shower room light on my motor caravan will shine through its frosted glass so do I make it red or issue a prohibition notice to my wife :)

Well Frank - I keep trying to encourage my missus to take a red torch and use the campsite loos cos I don't like caravan bathrooms. But she never listens to me lol.

So I tape red cellophane over one light in the caravan bathroom to keep her comfortable. But the deal is that she manages all the caravan ablutions and I stay right out of it haha :glasses1:

Hi Bran,

Having re read your statement I don't think you did, it was more about me wanting to read something into it!

As IanC11 linked to on the SGL6 thread is this stuff any good:

Rubylith style red masking film-preserve your night vision -Astrodevelopments

Re - looking at red torches as well.

Don't seem to be able to find any lights that are dimmable, now that would be a good idea. As an electronics engineer you think I would build my own. But I don't have the time!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the link. I am about to see if my remote control dimmers will work on the rope lights I have in the garden.

Hi Bran,

Thanks for that will order some up.

Hi kharga,

That looks good also. May well get some for the RV.

Regards

Chris

Hi All,

Sometimes I wonder if I really did study electronics or if I dreamt I did!

So I connected up a remote control dimmer to my lights and promptly blew them up and the dimmer! Should have worked out that would happen before being daft enough to try it!

Have now investigated and the correct lights are LED SMD ones:

12v Red SMD 3528 Flexible LED Strip Light 5 Metre / 300 LED's .. 12v SMD 3528 Strip Light ..

I am about to order three sets of these which can be dimmed. I reckon having spoken to a few people, seen normal undimmable rope lights being used by Carl and Steph - Dark Night and Steph on here this is the way to go.

Have just asked the question of how low the red lights will go.

Will keep you informed of the results.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Ant,

I am happy to do as I am told no problem.

But just need to check as I have been told at star parties red lights are used? Am I missing something.

As stated, I am happy to not use them if that is the rule.

Best regards

Chris

Archived