NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My guiding graph from PHD

swag72

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope that this has helped someone!!

Regarding the graph though, just a word of caution really. This was obtained using a finderscope, which I think is 9x50 - When I tried this on a much longer FL it was going nowhere fast! It may look good, but I'm not sure how obtainable such a flat graph would be with a longer focal length. When I was struggling with it, I was using it on a 900mm scope!

I'm just working on a very basic, idiots workflow and routine for set up at the moment - I will include the PA checking in PHD - Don't know whether it would be of use to anyone once I've done it.

I have come to appreciate what a massive advantage I have here in Spain, the last 4 nights have been clear, so I have achieved in 4 nights what it could easily take 1-2 months in UK. Also means that I am able to cement the routines pretty quickly too.

I use a 500mm f8 M42 tele for my guidescope.... its a nice compromise FL as I tend to image between 340mm (Megrez 72 + FFIII) and 2032mm (CPC800 @ f10) FL with the scopes... I have also got an OAG but havent really used it in anger yet....

Leaving aside the coma the other stars look pretty good Sara...

Peter...

Leaving aside the coma the other stars look pretty good Sara...

Peter...

I would go with Peter, look at the image. If the stars look good and round (ignoring the edges) then the guiding is working. I only look at the graph if there is something wrong with the image.:)

Would I have to use a reducer on all scopes or just the 120ED? I ask as there's really little point in having 900mm if you can't use it!!

Mmm, food for thought for tonight - Longer subs me thinks!!

pritty sure you can get a field flattener that is not a focal reducer. They are usualy much cheaper too.

HTH

Michael

Sara, that's working well... nice graph, and the image, apart from those stars at the edges (I get them all the time with the 80, I don't have a flattener) looks good with sharp stars...

As for a flattener alone... there's Reducers/Flatteners - Skywatcher Field Flattener I don't know if it's suitable at f/7.5... I don't know if anyone has ever used it for that focal ratio.

Archived