NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcams for astophotography

You'll need to stack them in Registax Kelly (it's free to download) and you might want to process them in Photoshop (or Gimp which is also free). I'm not very good at the processing side but I've seen some very nice sharp colour shots of planets from others on the webcam Imaging section (Planetary Imaging).

It will depend of course on what scope you're using and what ep's or barlows and wether using prime focus or ep projection photography. Here's a link to a useful guage for cameras, scopes, and images:

http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fov.htm

:)

take brantuks advice a ordered of these (morgans they will dflash the firmware as well to sp900n for £2.50 you get all ya need of morgams webcam and adapter and ir/uv filter flashed and delivered for about £30 cheap as chips and the cams work a treat o and welcome check morgans out

yep i am deffo ordering one :) they seem pretty straight forwar, oh will they be okay on my EQ3 mount

kelly

I can confirm that's a big yes. Not perfectly stable mounts but enough if it's on a vibration free surface like thick concrete or grass.

A barlow can be used by all means - but it depends on which scope you're using and the type of scope. I think 5x may be pushing it a bit but I have seen 2x, 3x, and 4x used by several imagers.

Make it a good quality one if you do, and have a look at the planetary imaging section for what was used on particular photos as a guide :)

just to mention the mount is less important for webcam stuff because it shoots video and stacks the frames together. The exposures are pretty short. What I used to do was set the video going, jump in front of the planet, let it drift past, then jump in front again. Then take the entire video and unselect the frames where the planet is off screen and the blurred ones and stack the rest.

Obviously the better the equipment the better the results but the joy of the webcam (for planets) is for very little outlay you can get very nice results.

I use sharpcap for capturing, makes altering the cams settings a doddle.

I've ordered mine from Morgan's and I am waiting on delivery. Brantuk, you mention motors, are these an easy add on for my scope? I would be interested in getting some if they give value for money.

Jon

Just bear in mind if you buy the spc880 webcam, it is only officially compatible with winXP. If you have vista / win7 it becomes a bit of a task to flash the cam or use a modded driver, so that it will work...so its definitely recommend to pay the small extra price for morgans computers to flash it for you!! :)

Archived