NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrofest - HELP

russ

I'm hoping someone familiar with London can help. I may have lost my shared lift with Rob to Astrofest due to illness in Rob's family. So making alternative arrangements.

Thinking about catching the train too Waterloo and then making my way across too Kensington High Street. I hate the tube and prefer to avoid at all costs (unless someone can tell me it's dead easy from Waterloo). So thinking of taking the bus instead. Or possibly walking the 3.5miles.

Is there a simple bus route from Waterloo?

How is the walk from Waterloo to Astrofest?

Sorry for all the questions. I tend to avoid London, especially the public transport. I once had a training course there and they were amazed i had walked 7 miles to avoid the tube and bus. :)

Excellent thanks Pete.

I had been playing with planning the tube route and it would involve one change at Westminster. But i can't be doing with all the argy bargy. Last year was my idea of hell on the tube.

Russ, the bus route is horrendous!

Session Expired

I would suggest walking to embankment station (5-10mins) and then round the circle line to high street ken (no changes). tube shd be ok after about 9.30.

Excellent, many thanks. I think i'll judge things on the day. If it's raining, we'll catch the tube from embankment station. If dry, we'll walk the whole thing.

Hi Russ,

If you live anywhere near Devizes and can be at my house on Friday at 07:00 I am driving to Salisbury to pick up a friend about 07:30 then to Astrofest. I will be parking under the venue and have cleared that my Land Rover will fit!

I will be out Thursday evening but you are welcome to come over on my return and stay the night if it helps?

Send me a pm if either of these solutions help.

Best regards

Chris

ps Was you at the meet last night at Seend? I was the newbie with a pony tail sat tall at the front!

Can I use this thread to ask another Astrofest question? I've just looked at their website, at the list of exhibitors, and I don't see Skywatcher telescopes there. Is that because they won't be there, or is the Skywatcher brand made by a maker with a different name?

Thanks

Thanks, Russ. I'd have found it if I'd opened all the links and read them all, but you saved me a lot of time.

Not too difficult for me to get to... I bet it turns into an expensive trip if I go, though...

Mary

It could well do. All that shiny new kit around, gonna be hard to resist. :)

Russ,

There is a quicker way in to Kensington than the tube from Waterloo. Assuming your train stops at Clapham Junction (and most trains into Waterloo do): get off at Clapham Junction and get the train to Kensington Olympia. There are 4 trains an hour and it takes just 10 minutes. It is only a few minutes walk down Kensington High Street to the town hall.

Andrew

PS. If people are going by tube, avoid changing at Victoria - it's a disaster there at the moment!

....and check for engineering work on the tube on the weekend. The circle line wasn't running a couple of Saturdays ago when we were there, and the journey to a friend's house in North London on the Sunday that should have taken 40 minutes took over 2 and a half hours!!!

Helen

Archived