Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn with a 10"?

george7378

I am really looking forward to Saturn when it comes back round this year, and I am hoping to get it observed by the end of February. My Dad will me coming round on the 23rd, and I really want to get a good look at it with my new scope around then. I will hopefully have clear skies with good seeing, and will be able to go up to 240X magnification. What can I expect to see in terms of details? Will it be much better than the view through a 5" scope? I really cannot wait - even seeing Saturn above the horizon late at night gets my heart pumping!

I think you will be surprised at how good it is in the larger scope.

240x might be pushing it but if you get the right conditions you never know.

there's not masses of detail but the rings are stunning and Cassini can be a challenge. there are of course the dusky caps and occasional bands of darker colour etc. you might even get a storm - there's been a few this year so far - not seen one yet though!

In steady seeing, and with Saturn high in the South, I've had my best views

at 170 - 200x with a 10" scope. But you may find different, if you have steadier

skies than me, you may find 240x ok. A sharp Saturn at that mag will be a stunner.

Saturn rides lower in the sky for N Hemisphere observers than in previous years,

and will be lower still in 2012, so make the most of it now.

Regards, Ed.

The seeing is a major factor. I remember one night a couple of years ago when the seeing was very good and I was stunned at how amazing Saturn looked through my 10". I agree with NGC 1502, I find that about 180x is a good compromise for most nights.

Don`t forget that if you are observing over roof tops some turbulance can be coming from the houses.

Hi George

Well I have just come in (7am) from my first viewing of Saturn with my new scope. Fantastic views with Rhea, Tethys and of course Titan all visible. Not quite able to resolve Enceladus or Mimas.

This is all with a 6" Newt and 10mm ep. You should get great views I hope.

Cheers

Archived