Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Things have changed - for the better too!

My initial thread about a telescope for camping proved very useful, but my criteria have changed slightly now.

I mentioned I was considering a budget telescope to my wife last night, we were watching a recording of the planets, and she said she's wanted a telescope for years, and that maybe buying a budget one wasn't a good idea and that we should maybe aim a little higher.

Great I though, money to spend and a green light, a very rare occurrence. :) We decided to up the budget to around £250 - £300 (maybe a little more if it made sense).

I've now looked at the Skywatcher Startravel 120 - still compact but a slightly longer FL than my original idea of the 90.

But I'm also considering the Evostar 120 - longer FL, so better for planets, but also right at the top of my budget (even with just the EQ3-2 mount).

Another option, is the SkyMax 127, not sure of it's strengths and weaknesses at all though.

I am interested in viewing planets, but as there's only 3 really viewable ones, should I not get too hung up on the planetary performance,and maybe go for something more of an all rounder?

The increase in budget seems to have brought along an far increased choice. I think is the Startravel 120 would do an ok job with planets, and a really good job with low-medium magnification it might be a good option as it would still (just) fit the bill for taking camping.

if i can offer you some really sound advice have a look at the TAL100rs, this is really a superb alrounder scope

dont try to put 120mm evostar on eq3 mount, its to long the 120mm startravel would be more stable on this mount

The TAL looks nice and the price seems ok, until you add the mount. The mount pus it a bit out of my budget unfortunately.

I've read in a few places, now, that the EQ3 is not upto the job. The EQ5 isn't actually that much more, but it still blows my budget.

Another tack is to get something a bit more modest, and then invest in a cople of nice EP's and a decent Barlow and Star Diagonal!

I would say the evostar over the star travel. The longer focal length should give less chromatic aberation and the longer focal length will also make it easier to use the less expensive eyepieces.

120mm should be OK for a good number of the DSO's depending on your light pollution, so no real problem there.

Wide fields are a simple case of a longish eyepiece but if it comes with a 25mm that will be pretty fair. If not then a plossl at 30mm or 32mm should be wide enough, and they are around £20-25.

I must admit I'm veering between the Evostar 120 on an EQ5 and going totally budget with an Evostar 90 and EQ2 (or EQ3). The two extremes in my budget. It seems that I'm one of those people who can't fix a budget and keep increasing the spec to something that probably exceeds their knowledge and capabilities (I'm the same with cameras and guitars!).:)

I'd avoid the Startravel myself. In the UK you don't have great skies all that often so the planets dominate your observing (or they did mine) and the false colour is a bit much on the fast achromat. I had a 120 Evo and still have a rarely used 6 inch. I thought the Evo 120 was just about okay on the EQ3, I must say. (Visual use that is). The 5 inch Mak would be a lot more convenient though.

Olly

I have considered the Skyliner 200p, but I'd like something I can squeeze in the car for camping trips. Space is tight, and we've changed the car to a bigger on and added a roof box as well!!!:)

Ideally a dob would be a future purchase, but for now I want something that is a little more portable, hence the idea of the ST120.

I'm going to try an fir in a trip to somewhere like Rother Valley optics and have a look at few things and get some advice from the people there. Hopefully that, plus advice here will help me decide.

Another consideration if that I would occasionally like to use it terrestrially! Hence the Refractor or MAK.

The more I think about it, the more I can't decide where the compromise lies.

Nick - it is possible to pick up an EQ5 in near perfect condition for around £100-£120 second hand. The you could choose whichever ota you wan to put on it from the suggestions above. Try "Astro Buy Sell" website, or the For Sale section here when you have cleared the joining requirements :)

I've found a place selling the Evostar 120 with EQ5 for a great price, I nearly bought it but I'm just concerned it's not really too portable if I do want to use it for camping.

I've also found that the Bradford Astro society meet at the local football club, so I'm going to go along to their next meeting and try and look through a few scopes and get an idea of what they can do.

Archived