SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are zooming eyepieces any good?

looking at all the different sites for accessories, and came across zooming eyepieces. Are these worthwhile? Or are you better spending the same money on a single eyepiece and saving up for the rest....

Opinions.experiences welcome.

I've got a Tele Vue 8-24 click stop zoom (now discontinued) that I probably use more than any of my other EP's. Nice bright and stays pretty much in focus through the range.. Also, works well for me wearing glasses.

Mind you it's the only zoom I've tried but went for it after reading reviews. Had it a couple of years. Never regretted getting it.

Personally, I'd sooner have a small selection (or even a large selection) of fixed length eyepieces than a zoo.

I have used three:

£10 cheap and nasty from Scopes N Skies Astroboot - 24mm - 8mm - optically reasonable but the field of view was quite narrow at the lower magnifications.

£130 (used) Televue zoom - 24mm - 8mm - to be honest not impressed. again the field of view was narrow at the wider end (24mm) and there was ghosting at the 8mm end. not too bad but not worth the money. build quality good.

£200 (used) Televue Nagler zoom - 6mm-3mm - superb optically and build quality. field quite narrow but good enough for planetary / lunar use which it is designed for with my scopes and eye relief too tight (10mm) for those with glasses to observe. the best zoom I have used and won't be leaving my case anytime soon.

Others really like the Hyperion zooms which go for about £100? used and are possibly the best of the cheapish zooms in that range (24mm-8mm).

The Nagler is the only one I have retained. If only they did a 14mm-7mm Nagler zoom. Even with 50 degree field and 10mm eye relief it would be a wonderful eyepiece.

Oh that's quite interesting to hear about your view of the 8-24. I've only used it with my EXT-125. Like I said, I've never tried others. It's good to see a comparison. Never noticed ghosting though.. gonna look out for that once the clouds go..

I thought it was quite good, so in some ways its nice to hear you weren't impressed as that means I'll be even more impressed if I upgrade from there.. if you know what I mean.. :):(

Oh that's quite interesting to hear about your view of the 8-24. I've only used it with my EXT-125. Like I said, I've never tried others. It's good to see a comparison. Never noticed ghosting though.. gonna look out for that once the clouds go..

I thought it was quite good, so in some ways its nice to hear you weren't impressed as that means I'll be even more impressed if I upgrade from there.. if you know what I mean.. :):(

I think one advantage of your scope over the one I tried it in is that your's a slow so a bit kinder on eyepieces whereas mine was fast so the opposite.

if you are happy with it and it works for you then keep using it :confused:

there's nothing really wrong with it as such, I just went down a different route.

Archived