Bray Imaging. No Longer Into Astro

Carbon Brush

I recently wanted some assistance with my MN78 & Alter D6 that came from Bray. They told me:

Hi David,

I am afraid Bray no longer have any commercial interest in the astronomy market.

The Bray Imaging astronomy web site is still up and running, several days after the email.

This is of course relevant to a much earlier thread in the equipment discussion.

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/38300-intes-gone-out-business.html?highlight=bray+imaging

I have emailed the importer, Optical Vision, and will let you know when I get a reply.

Hi David,

I visited Bray in, if i remember correctly 2006ish, even then they said they had just got out of the astromarket as they just werent making any money. The Guy I spoke to was i think the boss, he said he sold all his remaining astro stock to Simon at the widescreen centre.

The only thing they had left at the time was one of the zerodur blanks they use for their Teleport dobsonian scopes.

Im surprised they still havent changed their site

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An update for anyone interested.

Weeks have passed without any response from the UK sellers of the Intes & Alter kit.

So it looks (to me) like they are happy enough to empty your wallet on a new scope, but don't want to know about long term support.

Telescop Service could not help directly and gave me a couple of names of people in continental europe who might help.

I have one or two individual's postings on the web with useful help about the MN78. But nothing about the Alter D6.

So do I declare myself the world authority on the Alter D6?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one eyed man is King and all that.

This summer, armed with the camera and spanners, I will take the D6 off the pillar and see what I find.

Mmmm. The Alter D6. A mount that I have admired and lusted after for many, many years.

Dissapointing that you've got no responce from any of the importers/dealers.

Could AWR help, or is it more of a mechanical problem ?

I think there are a few strip down guides on the net, if you're brave enough.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy.

The D6 is a great mount. One thing I like is that I can hang different scopes on there for trials and it just works. At present I am doing some comparisons between my Europa 200 & SW200. They are sitting there side by side and the mount just gets on with it. The only problem is the cloud!

I would though recommend it only for permanent installation. The head is 35Kg with the same again for the tripod. I have the m ount on a concrete pier. Really good to lean on the mount when viewing near the zenith and the image doesn't move! The tripod is preventing the rafters in my garage from blowing away.

I have looked around and failed to find any strip guides. If you can remember where you have seen anything?

Basically the mount has been in use for a few years and ready for a '6000 mile service'. No big issues. But I'm sure that performance can be improved. When I take it off the pillar this summer, I would like to be prepared. But if necessary I will just go for it and get any mechanical parts made by local engineers.

The AWR bit is working very well. I know their kit is expensive. But it works well and is very maintainable, and they are helpful. I guess one of the reasons they are such low volume manufacturers is that they don't have all the stylish curves on their boxes. They just work and get on with the job. As the drives work well, AWR don't have to produce new models every year. Technically their drive kit leaves the Meade & Celestron stuff (that I have used) miles behind.

David.

Archived