Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best objects to view?

Mikeydej

Hi All!

I have just received some binoculars for Christmas to start me off stargazing - just wondering what you all think the best things to look at in the night sky through binoculars are so far I have done

The Moon, Orion, Ursa Major, Cassiopeia,

Is there any deep sky objects available to Meade 10 x 50 binoculars? I would love ten things to identify and spot by the end of February!

Hi, there are lots of things to look at. M81 and M82 in Ursa Major if you have not seen them already. M45 in Taurus. M31 in Andromeda. Lots of open clusters but too many to list here. M33 in Triangulum which you will need a dark site for. The list is endless. Your best bet would be to check the Messier catalogue, find out what is visible and when and try to track them down. If you have stellarium that should help you locate them.

M42 in Orion is a must, Jupiter early evening too. Lookup the Beehive for an amazing open cluster - very nice in binocs. And Alberio is a smashing double with gold and blue stars - might not see the colours with binocs but still interesting :)

hi mikeydej-

tough to narrow to 10, but if i had clear skies tonite these would

be at or near the top of my list.

check out the bino messier and bino deepsky links, too.

jupiter (evening planet in the southwest)

m45 (pleiades)

double cluster (caldwell 14 aka ngc 869/884)

melotte 20 (alpha persei association)

m31 (andromeda galaxy)

hyades (caldwell 41 aka mel 25)

m42/43 (orion nebula)

m41 (cluster in canis major)

m35 (cluster in gemini)

m36, 37, 38 (clusters in auriga)

m44 (beehive cluster)

Binocular Messier Club Introduction | The Astronomical League

Deep Sky Binocular Club Introduction | The Astronomical League

saber does the stars at

www.astronomyblogs.com/member/saberscorpx

I'm a newb using the binos as well. I find open clusters (Pleiades!) the most enjoyable to watch. Then Moon and M42/M31. I find other DSOs quite difficult to see with a lot of light polution (didn't get a chance to use binoculars outside of my backgarden yet).

I'd get a copy of Philips Stargazing with binoculars. It details month by month what to look for in the northern/southern hemispheres & gives some basic info on DSO's, planets, Moon etc that your looking atso acts as a guide & keeps your interest up too & is a great way to learn the sky.

Couple this with stellarium & you're onto a winner!

I think theres a review on here somewhere of the book, try a search :)

I've just recently bought some binoculars, so this thread is useful for me too! :)

I have the book Stargazing with Binoculars which is very informative. I just need some clear skies now to get out and have a look!

Saberscorpx mentioned it above - Jupiter is easy to spot in the South-West sky in the evenings with the binoculars. Very impressive viewing in my opinion - on a decent, clear night, 2 or 3 of Jupiter's moons are clearly visible through the 10x50s on a tripod.

John.

Archived