Seben Big boss

Hello,

A friend of a friend has a seben big boss 1400-150 reflector for sale going very cheap, Does anyone know what this scope is like, I have looked on a website called telescopereviews.org and it sounds ok, but as I am a newbie with the initial itch to get started I dont want to buy it to think well this is c**p why did i bother.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kev.

Hi Kev, to be honest most of the guys in the know on here (not me:D) tend to be of the impression that Seben scopes do not perform that well. I have yet to read a good report about them. I`m not saying that they are rubbish, just that if you had one you may be left wanting for a better performing scope. If it is a friend of a friend then why not see if you are able to arrange a meet so you can actually test the scope and judge for yourself. You never know, be ok.

Hi,

I was fairly sure it wouldnt be a top end scope and to be fair probably sure it would be slightly less than average but i have been told I can have it for around £40, which as I was thinking of getting the celestron first scope or some 15x70 bino's which would be around the same money, It's just the initial itch I need to scratch.

Kev

My bet is it will be bad news as well. I have never used one but the general consensus is they are seriously duff.

Someone on CN reviewed one of the Sben clones ages ago and his verdict was pretty damming.

Someone esle on here tried to send one back after realising it was a duffer. Dont know how they got on with that cos Seben asked for a ton of shipping cash t send it back at them.

If you hunt around on ebay you could get a TAL-1 for not much more and that would be a good scope with proven optics.

Hello Kevdan.

I've had the use of one of these and as you suspect, they are not top notch. However, for around £40 it would show you more than the other alternatives you mention. Best way forward would be to have a good look through it before purchase if at all possible.

As it belongs to a friend, i would ask for a look first. It maybe that the view will impress you enough for £40. But there are good bargains to be had a for little more, such as Skywatcher 130P's for £60-80. And they are of a known quantity, you'll be getting a capable scope for a few quid more.

The binos are excellent but they are not for all newbies. If you want to see the moon and planets in detail, the 15x70's are going to disappoint.

Archived