Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Stab at the Dagger (excuse the pun)

hi all.

Last Tuesday i decided to check on an old observing site i used to use just outside bristol, just wanted to see if it was still accessible and not suffering from too much light pollution. I realize the moon was big n bright in the sky but it didn't deter me from chucking the dslr and fixed tripod in the van.

So from my current observing site here's a pic of Orion in the South near the Meridian with a 98% Moon just out of the shot (top left). The street lights in the distance are from a nearby village and i have around the same amount of LP in the other directions.... can't wait to see it without the moon..... might even be able to make out Orion....

Shot with a Canon 400d on fixed tripod - exp 25s - f/5 - iso 400 - 14mm Sigma Lens - NR=On. and a few level adjustments in Canon DPP software.

post-23720-133877522758_thumb.jpg

I can certainly make out the hunter! :)

Well done.

Michael

Cheers Michael,

Yea i guess its just about visible..... must learn this stacking thing in the future, or at least start with some tracking.... stars are beginning to trail a little at this exposure.

Learning though!

mmmm, a site near Bristol with minimal light pollution, pray do tell.......

I wondered how long it would be until that was asked :)

That's a very nice shot. When that moon's gone have another go. Maybe try ISO 800 leave the rest more or less the same. Then have another go trying the lens opened up another stop or half stop.

I think the amount of trailing you have isn't a problem it's just the signature of a fixed camera. Nothing wrong with that.

Dave.

Also level the camera. I say this having looked at some really good star trail images.

Hi Digz, copy and paste " 51.473391,-2.320454 " co-ordinates into the web based google maps, click on the 'A' and hit 'street map' for a proper view of the site. Nothing special as there's a village 1Km to the south - but as you can see from the photo - its not too overwhelming and if you drive up track to the moto x circuit the land slopes down a little and all the surrounding street lights disappear. Obviously there'll still be some glow but it beats the hell outta my back garden.

The farmer is cool (although i have never seen him), and very little traffic if any at all use the road after 8pm. it's level by the barn and there's plenty of parking and set up space, for a 10 min drive each way it's well worth it.

i'll be hitting it a fair bit over the next couple of months until i find something better/darker/closer to home?.... if you fancy popping up one night for look i'd welcome ya.... four eyes are always better than two!

That's a very nice shot. When that moon's gone have another go. Maybe try ISO 800 leave the rest more or less the same. Then have another go trying the lens opened up another stop or half stop.

I think the amount of trailing you have isn't a problem it's just the signature of a fixed camera. Nothing wrong with that.

Dave.

Also level the camera. I say this having looked at some really good star trail images.

Thanks Dave,

Will definitely try again without Moon and at ISO 800... i was worried about noise at 800 but should have tried it all the same.

Unfortunately the Sigma 10-20mm zoom lens i used was stopped down as far as it could go.... it's a f4-5.6 lens and at 14mm f5 was the lot - have borrowed a 50mm f1.8 for the next mission..... thanks for the pointers - will put them into action (especially leveling the tripod, oops)

Dave

Archived