Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing groups in Wiltshire

causerino

Hello All,

I was wondering who meets up around Wiltshire, more specifically Bradford on Avon, Staverton, Melksham, as I live around there and would like to join an observing group as I am very new to all this and would love to learn how to observe the night sky properly.

Cheers,

Tom

:D

Tom,

I'm in a similar position - and location - to you, I'm in Holt and have been getting back into astro in the last few months. The Wiltshire Astronomy Society meet at the Red Lion in Lacock, and there's the SPOG Astro guys who are a bit looser and meet in various places around Salisbury Plain. Those are the only groups I'm aware of.

I'm up for meeting up and seeing of we can rope in some locals if you're interested. I'm going out scouting for suitable local sites at the weekend, we're not blessed with overly-dark skies...

Tom

The Salisbury Plain Observing Group meets at Bratton Camp nr Westbury sometimes and there are a few of us who do short notice gatherings there; if you PM me your email address I can send you further details of what the group is up to.

Jon

Tom,

I'm up for meeting up and seeing of we can rope in some locals if you're interested. I'm going out scouting for suitable local sites at the weekend, we're not blessed with overly-dark skies...

Sounds like a great idea, would be nice to have a group of local people wanting to do observing! Let me know if you find any nice sites, I've only lived around here for a short while so don't really know any where good to go!

Tom

The Salisbury Plain Observing Group meets at Bratton Camp nr Westbury sometimes and there are a few of us who do short notice gatherings there; if you PM me your email address I can send you further details of what the group is up to.

Jon

Thanks for the info Jon, is that at the car park just off of the portway road?

I have PM'd you my details.

Tom,

I went for a scouting drive today around the area between Seend hill and Bratton Hill, which is a good flat area with no centres of population. I was looking for:

- hard standing (no quagmires!)

- away from public roads (car headlights!)

- away from habitation (lights and curtain-twitchers!)

- unobstructed view to the South

I couldn't come up with anything great - the main problem round here being that the best sites are in the middle of muddy fields!

Keevil airfield would be ideal but I'm sure the MOD would have something to say about that... So I ended up checking out Bratton Camp (where the White Horse car park is) and I would endorse what Jon is saying. It looks great - easy to get to, plenty of gravelled standing, 360 degree flat horizon, only one possible source of light pollution - some farm buildings which are unlikely to be lit at night.

If you want to PM me we could exchange details and then see what the weather does over the next couple of weeks.

Hello,

I know Swindon is a bit further away, but we do observing sessions near Avebury (if the skies are ever clear!!!). If you look up Swindon Stargazers and on the home page find Adhoc Viewing, it will give you dates. I also go to the Wiltshire AS viewing evetns and try to go to the SPOG ones as well. We also do smaller groups as well, if we have free and clear nights we sometimes meet up. If you would like more details please send me a PM and I will see what info I can give you.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that.

I have been on the Swindon, WASnet and Beckington sites already.

I am due to be away in the RV this weekend but looks like there is a meet next Tuesday in Seend for a talk. Will do my best to be at that, if only to meet a few folks.

The March talk looks perfect:

Photographing The Night Sky by Nik Szymanek

Regards

Chris

Archived