Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone use SKEye - Android App

smeech

Hi

I'm new to this stargazing lark and was just wondering whether anyone uses SKEye? It's like google star maps but seems to run a little smoother. Only drawback of it is the planets aren't as prominant as googles version.

Pretty good though and might be worth a try for any of you phone geeks (like me).

They say (although without having a scope I can't check) that you can attach it to the scope (somehow) and use it as a goto (kind of). As I say though, i'd like the planets to be more prominant.

Do any of you know of anything similar (other than google sky maps) that may be better / more features?

Hi smeech!

I am the author of SkEye :)

Only drawback of it is the planets aren't as prominant as googles version.

I have added a search feature a few days back, which might help you a in locating planets.

But, in general, it is a challenge to squeeze all the data in the sky into the tiny screen of a mobile phone (unlike iPhone, there are a variety of screen sizes for Android out there.)

I am planning a much better interface for future versions, which will dynamically adapt itself based on the present positions of objects and on what is being viewed.

Hi HRJ,

It is a very good app, well done, just a few quick questions, i have a HTC Desire and when loaded onto my phone, it stops my phone going into screen timeout (even when not using the app), any way round this as the screen being on all the time drains the battery, also how does it work as a goto?

Thanks

Hi Lezah,

i have a HTC Desire and when loaded onto my phone, it stops my phone going into screen timeout (even when not using the app)

This feature was actually requested by a user and I made it the default.

Now, that you mention it, I should probably make an option to disable it. I am adding it to my TODO list.

any way round this as the screen being on all the time drains the battery,

For now, you can simply close the app. Or even press the "lock" button to turn off the screen by force.

also how does it work as a goto?

It doesn't work as a GOTO yet, but as a PUSHTO. It can tell you the current position of the telescope, and the target, but it can't move the scope for you (yet).

To use as a PUSHTO, you have to simply attach the phone to the telescope's OTA. By attach I mean, physically strap it to the tube. And that's all.

You can read more details in the tutorial available on my website.

• 1 month later...

Hi HRJ

As I say it's a great app. I was using it on Sunday and it is so much more responsive than the google one.

Well done. Incidentally when I recommend apps this one is one that always comes to mind!

SM

Just installed it on my Samsung Galxey S, will have to wait until night time to have a good look but just checked it out with stellarium and seems to be working OK.

And it's free.

Can't wait to try SKEye out (and others) when i decide which phone to go for either 'desire' or 'desire hd'. It will not be on contract thats for sure as just had a scary fraud case on my vodafone a/c which i've just closed to be safe.

Hi smeech!

I am the author of SkEye :)

I have added a search feature a few days back, which might help you a in locating planets.

But, in general, it is a challenge to squeeze all the data in the sky into the tiny screen of a mobile phone (unlike iPhone, there are a variety of screen sizes for Android out there.)

I am planning a much better interface for future versions, which will dynamically adapt itself based on the present positions of objects and on what is being viewed.

Kudos - nice app

Can't wait to try SKEye out (and others) when i decide which phone to go for either 'desire' or 'desire hd'. It will not be on contract thats for sure as just had a scary fraud case on my vodafone a/c which i've just closed to be safe.

Get the Desire. £250 if you look around for it. I had one till I lost it on the train! Doh! Or you could do what I did and get the San Francisco for £79 and unlock it! Both the Desires are great phones though, just thought the HD was a little too big.

Archived