Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 127SLT goto help

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One question - once it slews to a star and tracks it, how do I go back and select something else to go to?

Press Undo and then select another option from Planets - or "menu" Named Stars etc should do it - one question back at you - does your star finder work ok? - When I set mine up there wasn't enough adjustment to line it up, I realised that the finder scope didn't sit properly on the bracket on the OTA and had to pack it out to get it to match the EP view - works fine now but with an ugly piece of plastic sticking out of the bracket!

Here's hoping for more clear skies (despite the cold!)

To select something else you need to press undo and then you can choose your next object.

When you are setting up, are you making sure that you have the scope absolutely level? I have a Nexstar 8 and am finding that if I don't take care over levelling I may have trouble doing the alignment, or if I get an alignment to work, the subsequent Gotos are a little bit off.

Get yourself a power pack- you will eat batteries otherwise.

does your star finder work ok? - When I set mine up there wasn't enough adjustment to line it up, I realised that the finder scope didn't sit properly on the bracket on the OTA and had to pack it out to get it to match the EP view - works fine now but with an ugly piece of plastic sticking out of the bracket!

I've had a similar problem myself, along with the red dot being too bright at it's dimmest so I'm not going to bother with the supplied one, as soon as I'm able to find one I'm going for a Telrad finder which will hopefully solve both problems.

I had no trouble with the star finder. Five minutes fine tuning and it was sorted - didn't need any packing. I'll use the 'undo' button - thanks for that. I have a power pack from Maplins - that's an essential, I think. I got myself a red light torch today, so I'll spend more time making sure it's level before I start - hopefully on Saturday night. I thought about a telrad, but as I've only used my telescope twice I'll give the red dot finder a fair chance before I bin it. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

My red dot works fine with the packing though I've spoken to F1 telescopes who I got the scope through, and they're going to get Celestron to send me another mount as they think that night be faulty - I agree, power pack essential, I got one from maplins as well

Saturday looking next best chance for clear skies - and I'm out that night! typical!

If you don't mind me asking which power pack did you 2 go for in the end?

I wish GOTO scopes would come with some kind of power pack, even a standard adapter so it could be used via a cord extension. Especially as battery power isn't recommended.

Did you have to buy a lead to connect to the scope seperately?

Good question - I originally wamted to order a Skywatcher power pack from FLO but they were out of stock and recommeded Maplins, they did say that it might not have a lead, so I ordered a lead from FLO which is due tomorrow - However the Maplins one DID come with a lead which works fine - but I had been warned that it might not be the correct type and could "spike" the scope - but as I said it seems to work fine - I'll compare the lead FLO supplied when I get it to the Maplins supplied one and let you know

I got this one - Portable Jump Starter and Air Compressor Free Delivery : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin. I was exactly the same as MorningMajor and wanted a skywatcher powertank from FLO, but they were out of stock and recommended Maplins. I ordered a cable from FLO whilst ordering my telescope. This power supply seems to work well. I haven't tried using the cable that came with the powertank as I don't want to spike my nice, shiny new scope!

Archived