Skywatcher 200p

I received my new 200p last Thursday and assembled it on Sunday evening. Last night was the first night I had the opportunity to use the new toy due the weather on the previous evenings. I have never had a scope before and even never looked through one. Having viewed the night sky through a pair of 10x50 bins for the last few years. I was extremly excited about my first venture with a scope.

Unfortunately I was a bit disapointed :). The moon was full and therefore very bright but due to the cold the sky was absolutely clear. I put the scope out about an hour before using it to cool down. The first object I wanted to view was Jupiter and this is where the disapointment crept in. In my Backyard astronomers guide it showed an image of Jupiter taken through a smaller scope and the picture was excellent. So my expectation was to be able to see the planet clearly. I could see the moons and also see the planet a lot clearer than in my bins. I could also see some colour but couldnt define the detail that I expected. The review on FLO states that the scope clearly defined a prominent belt and planetary detail is certainly not comprimised.

Am I doing something wrong or was it because the moon was to bright? I live on Bodmin Moor in the middle of nowhere so it wasnt light pollution that was spoiling the view. Are my expectations to great? Also I had problems with the scope misting up all the time. Even the secondary mirror was misted up. Was it just to cold?

Thanks for the response. I dont think so the planet shape was sharp but it was the detail that wasnt. I couldnt really see what I was expecting. Also is it normal to mist up all the time?

To be honest the planets disc may look sharp but the turbulence in the atmosphere will almost wash out some of the detail that would otherwise be visible on the disc.

The trick is to spend as much time observing as you can, as even on nights when the seeing is not so good,conditions can improve and you will suddenly have that wow moment where you can see lots of detail, but as any planetary observer in the UK will tell you, these moments of good seeing are few and far between at the moment.

When you say misting up, do you mean dew on the scope or mirrors?

yes like your car windscreen does when you dont have the blowers on and the car is full of people :) I used both lenses that came with the scope which are 10 and 25mm.

We all suffer from the dreaded dew sometimes. it`s normal. You can buy or make a dewshield to put on the end of your scope or buy dew heater bands for your telescope, also you can use the humble hairdryer beleive it or not.:)

If your lenses are fogging up, are you breathing on them?

I think your original post hints at the issue here when you say "In my Backyard astronomers guide it showed an image of Jupiter taken through a smaller scope and the picture was excellent". The visual views though scopes just don't match images taken through scopes, even much smaller scopes. Our eyes just can't compete with modern CCD's and post image processing. Through the eyepiece,with the exception of the moon, everything is much, much, more subtle, smaller and less distinct than you will see in images.

I think it might be your expectations that need a little adjusting here :)

Thanks guys for all the responses. I am aware that what you see through a scope is not the same as you see in imaging but the book states this is what to expect to see in a scope so you do!

Anyway I think last night must have been the problem because tonight has been excellent so far. The view of Jupiter was very good and I have found the orion nebula (M42) and am going out for a bit more eye candy shortly :). Obviously last night wasnt good and maybe it was the cold but tonight doesnt seem any different temperature wise but I am not having the dew problems that I did last evening.

Thanks for the help.

Paulie

No probs Paulie. Dew depends on the humidity of the air. I always check the local forecast on bbc weather for local humidity. So far i have found levels below 80% means no problems with dew but when levels have been 85% or more that is when i tend to get dew. Just my experience with it.

Glad you are having a better viewing session tonight.

yep no need to worry its brilliant and easy to use. I just need to get my head around the wrong way up aspect and keep pushing it the wrong way. It messes with your dam brain :)

You might find that a Telrad red dot finder a great help. You keep one eye on the sky and the other on the red dot and by placing it where you want it, the scope through the eyepiece should reveal that it is fairly close (assuming it is aligned to start with). Alternatively, a right angled finder will at least get rid of the 'inverted' difficulty. Most scopes seemed to be supplied with a straight through finder that is as bad as the scope in finding stuff.:):D

Wishing you continued clear skies.

James

sounds like a song from the 60's :D I will have a look and see what they are like.

Will a 2x Barlow be an advantage on the 200p for viewing Jupiter? I have a 25mm and 10mm lens currently and wondered if the Barlow will give me a more pronouced view of the planet or will it be to strong and make it unfocused?

I find that the 10mm and the barlow i.e 200x Magnification a little tricky to get a good image. This is mainly down too the atmospherics.

Give it a try and dont be too dissapointed thinking something is wrong if you cant focus it, its just the atmopshere. But if you are patient you will get a few seconds here and there of good seeing.

Thats just my brief experience with my 200p

Thanks Jason, I note you have a 200p but mounted on an EQ5. Did you buy it like that or can you convert a 200p from a dob mount to an EQ5? If thats the case when funds permit that is something I could do and use tracking rather than handraulic movement if I decided to go down the photography route.

Archived