Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen V Televue

I've owned both. The NLV is sharper and more contrasty than a Radian, similar to an orthoscopic in lots of ways, but has a smaller field of view than the Radian.

What are you going to use them for? For planets I would use a NLV (sharp and comfortable) or orthoscopic (bright, sharp and contrasty at the expense of everything else), for DSOs I'd use a LVW (comfort) or Nagler (wider view). The Radian sits inbetween, so if you want just one eyepiece for both planets and DSOs, then it will be fine.

I have a 9mm and a 4mm NLV and they are sharp to the edge at f4.8.

Hi Nick,

I have used the Vixen LV and the Radian, I think the Vixen was a great performer, really great contrast and plenty of er, the Radian,I still use one, gives a little more fov but slightly less contrast, don't know how well the Vixen NVL's perform but if there as good as the LV they must be very decent. I have only used them on sct (F10) scopes so would imagine in a nice frac they would both be outstanding! :)

Alan

I have a 25mm NLV. It works really well in my 130P (f5) scope. As Spock says.......very sharp (to the edge) and contrasty. I also have a 30mm NPL which again is sharp and contrasty but a lot cheaper then the NLV range.

I love my Vixens. I'm probably gonna buy a couple more NPL's for my birthday. I'm thinking an 8mm and a 15mm.

Hi Nick, don't know if this helps. I have 2 Radians, 18mm & 10mm, and 3 of

the original Vixen LVs, 10mm, 7mm and 6mm, now superceded by the NLVs.

Used in my F4.8 & F4 Newtonians, they all perform very well indeed, and hold good

sharpness to the edge of the field of view, with little fall off in quality. The best

of the bunch, in terms of edge of field sharpness, is the 18mm Radian, just beats

the 10mm Radian if you look hard. The two 10mm Eps - about equal to each other

and the Vixen 7 & 6mm.

Centre of field quality - I couldn't split any of them, all equal.

Of course there is the difference in apparent FOV to take into consideration.

The 20mm eyerelief is great with any of these EPs, even if you don't wear glasses.

The NLVs also have screwdown eyeguards, better than the rolldown eyecups on

the LVs.

Hope this is of some help as I've not compared NLVs to the older LVs, Ed.

Archived