Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first saturn with new scope

stevelcfc

been getting up every morning this week hoping it was clear and today lo and behold it was so i set the scope up and put the kettle on thought i would have a cupo of tea whilst letting the scope cool down

went out side found saturn it didnt take much finding and there it was brilliant ,its the first time ive seen saturn with this scope, even saw the cassini division for the first time, could have sat there all day but unfortunately i only had about 2 hours.then on to venus in all its glory.stayed there till about 9 oclock. fantastic its times like this that remind you why your sitting outside freezing your dangly bits off

think ive forgot about all those cloudy nights allready

clear skies

Yaaaay! Another recruit to "The Saturn Fan Club" :)

Wasn't it fantastic Steve! I posted a little earlier here about my first look at Saturn through my Mak.

Hopefully we will all have many more moments like that in the years to come. So glad you saw the Cassini division. I couldn't make that out but was just so overjoyed that finally I had seen those rings.

All the astronomical best for 2011 and beyond.

Regards.

Jimmy.

Aww i cannot wait! you lucky thing you!

hopefully tonight will be clear.

it will be my first view of saturn *ever*!

Clear skies to you too.

sometimes wish i had,nt seen it before you cant beat the first time you see it,and with your scope you will be amazed

can i come lol

Yaaaay! Another recruit to "The Saturn Fan Club" :)

Wasn't it fantastic Steve! I posted a little earlier here about my first look at Saturn through my Mak.

Hopefully we will all have many more moments like that in the years to come. So glad you saw the Cassini division. I couldn't make that out but was just so overjoyed that finally I had seen those rings.

All the astronomical best for 2011 and beyond.

Regards.

Jimmy.

think ive allways been a member (its hard not to be)

steve

Dosent saturn rise at quater to 12 tonight? I no it's highest point is around 4-6 but wouldn't u see it rise?

its a bit close to the horizon at that time,i am noyt in a good position to see it low in the east

best time in my opinion is from 4 am in the morning

I´ve just had some brilliant views of Saturn this morning. Just need a bigger scope now.

:)

can you see the cassini division with that scope

i will be getting a bigger scope myself could,nt go any bigger than 8"

because of portabillity issues

can you see the cassini division with that scope

i will be getting a bigger scope myself could,nt go any bigger than 8"

because of portabillity issues

I've seen the Cassini Division with a 4" refractor but the seeing conditions on the last 2 occasions have prevented me from being able to tease it out with either my 6" refractor or my 6" mak-newtonian - both quality scopes using Tele Vue eyepieces. Rather frustrating :)

So stevelcfc has done really well to pick it out with his 150mm newtonian :)

Just as a guide, this is how the Saturn and the Cassini Division looked through my 4" refractor in 2007 at around 200x:

post-12764-133877519814_thumb.jpg

Archived