Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion nebula with a ZS66

Hawklord

I wasn't going to post this one, but then it seemed a shame since this is with a 66mm scope (which is most often used for guiding) and an unmodified Canon EOS450D. Light pollution is dealt with by a CLS filter. Just over an hour's worth of 3 minute subs at ISO1600. Guided using phd on my GPDX mount.

post-17204-133877518453_thumb.jpg

That's a great little scope itsn't it, especially for wide field work. Just shows aperture isn't everything.

I hope you don't mind me doing this, but I've taken your JPG result that you posted above and removed some background gradients, flattened the dynamic range, done some wavelet processing and enhanced the background. The core is a bit saturated because of the massive amount of contrast in this object and there was data lost on the JPG image. I think you could get even better results with slightly less agressive stretching the intensity with curves, less of a brighness stretch but a smaller gamma value to enhance the darker regions better.

Thanks for sharing.

post-16194-133877518621_thumb.jpg

Thank you. It looks much better. I seem to get plagued by gradients.

My processing was done with an old version of Pixinsight LE and then PS elements 5. Luckily I do have Noels actions which help a bit. Planning to invest in full version of Pixinsight very soon, and get the DBE tool etc!

Cheers

Archived