NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AZ4 mount

andrew63

A few views on my Skywatcher AZ4. First, is quite light solid with very smooth operations. Only had brief chance to use it tonight. On the moon at 112x the view when focussing was stedy its balance was good and easy to see object near zenith. I was also considering a PORTA MOUNT, but was advised here that this would be more stable for my refracter 4" - and glad i took the advice.

I wanted the mount for grab and go and its fine with my C100ED, but would not want to use it with anything much more. At 34" tube and 3.5kg things are fine, would be also great of course with 80ED and C5 C6. i would highly recommend it as a solid grab and go mount.

post-21932-133877517855_thumb.jpg

post-21932-13387751786_thumb.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little report Andrew :). I think the AZ-4's are very good mounts - rather underrated in fact. I assume you left your accessory tray off for the pics deliberately ? - it does add even more stability to the tripod.

It's quite a bit cheaper than the Porta Mount as well :D

Yes left it off as i carried it out with legs together and did not have time to fit it before another shower! Thanks for the initial advice on the mount John

Yes - I used mine that way tonight - for the same reason !. You need a "grab and go" rig with weather like ours :)

I'm glad the advice was some use :D

I'm really surprised there's not a bigger fuss made of the AZ4 by the dealers or Optical Vision. It's a great grab'n'go mount with a refractor, mak, smaller SCT or newt. I've had the C100-EDR on ours and it was a pleasure to use. It's absolutely brilliant with the 150 f5 newt. So easy to use, even nicer than the dob.

BTW does anyone know which extension pillar will fit them? The EQ6 or the HE5 one?

Gaz - it would be the HEQ5 one - the tripod top is identical to the EQ5 / HEQ5.

It also fits on the CG5 2" steel tripod which makes for a pretty solid mount :)

Any idea how much the pillar extensions cost? It does sit a little low for the refractor even with the tripod legs fully extended.

More than they ought ! - (IMHO). I had to pay £90 from The Widescreen Centre when I was up in London - then lug the thing back on the tube / train with everyone thinking it was a bomb :D

Actually it worked a treat and was pretty well made although the paint around the hex bolts started to flake almost from the off.

I can't understand why these are not easier to get and in a variety of extension heights as well - they can't be too difficult to make and it's an issue you hear discussed often :)

More than they ought ! - (IMHO). I had to pay £90 from The Widescreen Centre when I was up in London - then lug the thing back on the tube / train with everyone thinking it was a bomb :D

Actually it worked a treat and was pretty well made although the paint around the hex bolts started to flake almost from the off.

I can't understand why these are not easier to get and in a variety of extension heights as well - they can't be too difficult to make and it's an issue you hear discussed often :)

Excellent, thanks John. And blimey £90, you're right, that seems a little high for what it is. I wonder if there will be one on offer at Astrofest? Can only hope.

I can imagine you did get some funny looks taking that on the tube.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a ex display Steel Tripod model from Green Witch yesterday, i am very impressed, i have a 120 Star travel on its way to go on it... one thing that has done me slightly is that i can not correctly mount my C6 to it... the arm is on the opposite side to the SE mount so the finder is on the underside and the focuser is in the way of the diagonal. looks like ill need some rings before i can use the C6.

I picked up a ex display Steel Tripod model from Green Witch yesterday, i am very impressed, i have a 120 Star travel on its way to go on it... one thing that has done me slightly is that i can not correctly mount my C6 to it... the arm is on the opposite side to the SE mount so the finder is on the underside and the focuser is in the way of the diagonal. looks like ill need some rings before i can use the C6.

Is the C6 not like other SCT's where you can move things around? Just use different accessory holes around the rim to re-mount the dovetail and finder? Maybe clutching at straws but i remember with the C8 the finder could be mounted on the left or right. And there were matching holes top and bottom for the dovetail.

In one word ... No :)

The dovetail has a grove in 1 place and have 2x2 screws on the dovetail, and the same where the finder is, I have considered trying to fit a second dovetail on the other side but wouldn't as as secure.

You may have saved me the same trouble. Harry has asked for a C5 or C6 for his Orion VersaGo but we would run into the same problem. So i'll have a gentle word with him and let him know the C6 is out.

Sounds like tube rings would be the answer. But a shame because it won't look as neat as the integrated dovetail.

just had some time out with the mount and i must says its a pleasure to use, i was using it will a 90mm F11 Frac and was steady as you like with great ease of movement... just a super mount.. not sure how i ever did without one!.... down side is it makes me want a big ed refractor.. ill be sticking with the achromat for now :)

Archived