neximage on vista

Hi, I have just brought the neximage ccd. I have tried countless times to get the drivers from Celestron so it would work on vista. However no luck so far, I've gone through the setting up of files on my dest top to getting as far as the drivers have been found but there is a problem with instalation. I have tried another computer on Windows on XP however no Compaq never made any drivers for it. So I'm stuck now.

Please Help

Andy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave,

I can't seem to get that to work either. I've tried downloading & installing then sending the the computer to look for the drivers on the desktop. I'm at a loss now, as my other compaq laptop doesn't take the drivers for XP so I'm stuck now. All help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Mmm looks like I need to set up a virtual machine with vista and do some research. If anyone has used this with Vista please jump in as it'll take a day or two to do this. If I work out a full report mabybe it'll be be worth a sticky in tip an tricks.

Dave...

Hi Dave,

I can't seem to get that to work either. I've tried downloading & installing then sending the the computer to look for the drivers on the desktop. I'm at a loss now, as my other compaq laptop doesn't take the drivers for XP so I'm stuck now. All help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andy

I've just purchased a NexImage camera and had the same problem. I followed the instructions from the celestron website below and mine now works fine when tested with the supplied capture application

How do I install NexImage capture software and drivers on Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems?

Malcolm

Guys,

Installed this on my Vista PC following the instructions on the website in my post above. However I'll be using my Asus Eee 900A (upgraded to 16GB SSD) which runs XP. Do you think I can get the camera to install - I've downloaded the drivers from the Phillips website (XP) and re-booted after the wizard is run - but it can't find the drivers when the new hardware wizard runs after plugging in the camera... Tried the install disk and that's not really worth using as a coaster...there is nothing on it.

Anyone have any ideas where the driver file gets installed too ?

Hi All,

thanks for all the help...We did get there in the end. However not as straight forward as it's made out to be. I'm now looking for a way to control my telescope from my laptop through a wireless connection.....Any adive would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Andy,

Basically you use two computers, one is sited with the telescope with the serial cable connected to the telescope. You install the control software on this PC / laptop, and any capture software for the camera.

On the PC in your house, you use remote desktop control to log into the laptop. You then select the software just as if the scope was next to you on your PC.

Things to watch. Both PC's should (ideally) be on the same network, as it's easier to see each PC. If you have a mixed OS such as Win7 and Vista, you might have issues with saving captured video to your home PC. If your laptop is powerful then this isn't a problem.

I've spend best part of this afternoon setting this up using a netbook for scope and web cam, in readiness for when my scope arrives. As the netbook is somewhat limited in power, I've set up the capture software to save the raw files on my Dual core pentium machine in the lounge. The netbook is connected via wireless and is about 50' from the router.

An alternative is to use VNC on both machines which can take out some of the pain in remoting into other machines

Not sure if you ever got the answer about Neximage and Vista. There is a driver on the Celestron website, but you need to follow the instructions very carefully. It took me three goes but I got there in the end and it works well now.

Take it one step at a time. I remember having to go into "device drivers" and mess about a bit, so keep trying. I'm typing this on a Windows 7 Laptop (the Vista one is at home and I'm away on business), so if I think on, I'll have a look at what I did when I get home on Wednesday. It was a bit tricky - shame on Celestron for not making it easier. There must be millions of Vista laptops out there. It was Microsoft's absolutley worst operating system IMHO and it didn't last long. You won't see many adverts which say "I'm a PC and Windows Vista was my idea". The one advert shown was greeted by silence and a single gunshot...(joking).

Andy,

If you click on START > NETWORK do you see the other PC's on your network ?

If not then chances are they are different workgroups. Check this by START > right click on COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES I think by default the workgroup is MSHOME.

One other test is to check the IP settings on each machine. The simple way is click on START and in the search type in CMD - click on the CMD.EXE in the results to launch a DOS box. Type IPCONFIG /ALL (thats IPCONFIG (space) /ALL) and hit return

This will display the settings for each network adapter. Do this on both machines and compare the results. Chances are they will be something like

IP 192.168.0.xxx

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

DNS 192.168.0.1

You may find that the first three digits for IP, Gateway and DNS are 192.168.1 as this all depends on the router you have.

If both machines show the same details (other than the IP which should have the last digit different on each machine) then try PINGing each machine. To do this, with the same DOS box open type PING and then the IP address of the other machine (eg PING 192.168.0.5 assuming the other machine has an IP of 192.168.0.5). This should come back with a reply, if not or it shows 4 lost packets then check the firewall settings on each machine.

As this may be going off topic, please feel free to drop me a PM, unless other guys want to chip in and keep this going ?

Malcolm

Steve,

I got mine working (Vista and Win 7) by downloading the Phillips 9000 driver and following the instructions in the Celestron casebase link in my post above. You have to add the device manually as the driver gets placed under Audio devices for some obscure reason.

I think Andy has got passed that issue, and is now having problems networking the two PC's so he can remote into the one to be used for control of the scope

Archived