NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How difficult is it to focus a DSLR without live view?

I ask this as I am wondering about a modded DSLR. My top choice would be a 1000D, but money will be an issue. So, if I am using just the DSLR and a 300mm lens, how easy is it to focus without live view?

I currently use a 5D2 and I have learnt that live view is excellent to ensure good focus - Not sure if I'd manage without it.

Thoughts?

Hi Sara

You will get focus, but it will take you a while to make sure you are really there.

On many lenses the infinity setting isn't quite right.

The best way is to take a test shot and inspect the image and keep adjusting until the stars are pinpoints.

Dave

I have a Bahtinov mask for my SW 120ED scope (currently in UK, I am going back next week) - How can I use it on my camera lens when they're different sizes? Can I just hold it up to the lens and use it like that? Or just tape it on for the focusing?

I'm not to sure if the same can be used on a camera lens.

I have used one very successfully on a 200mm telephoto lens and fairly successfully down 135mm.

Can I just hold it up to the lens and use it like that? Or just tape it on for the focusing?

You would need to produce one specifically for your lens.

You'd really need one that was designed for the lens &/or you can use the DSLR Focus type software ( as you would for DSO's) and take a test shot as suggested by Steve to determine how far off you may be .

EDIT ah ! there you go ... cheers Steve !

I wrote a positive reviw of these masks and here is another happy customer. They need to know lens aperture, aperture of dewshield or outside of lens, and focal length. http://stargazerslounge.com/supplier-reviews/124368-morris-engraving-bahtinov-masks.html

Highly recommended.

Isn't there also a FWHM measuring programme for DSLRs. DSLR Focus or something like that? I use FWHM to focus my camera lenses when attached to my CCD cameras.

Olly

I have just contacted Morris engraving, thanks Olly. So, I have a 300mm and a 70-200mm lens, both of which have a 77mm thread. Can I not use the same mask on them both as one is an f/4 and the other a f/2.8. Can I just use the 2.8 lens at f/4 and that will be fine?

My DSLR doesn't have live view as I bought it before getting into Astronomy. It's a total pain to get focus without a mask. Even with it it can be hard to get to the viewfinder without knocking the 'scope. The mask from Morris Engraving is great though, highly recommended.

Don't use the VF, except maybe right at the beginning to check alignment with the guider, using the AF points !

set up DSLRFocus ( if you have it) to take focus pics at 30secs and at high ISO for a fast image and "download pics to computer" check your focus there. ( Tho ideally with a mask too ), then when your happy go to long exposure mode and > "download to camera CF" and off you go

Archived