Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Modify or Upgrade my EQ Mount

AlexB

I'm trying to upgrade my equipment to set up for Astrophotography. I've currently got a SkyWatcher 200P Explorer tube mounted on an EQ5 Mount without any motors.

I'm concerned about buying and fitting the SynScan upgrade kit, and I'm wondering if I will have a better set-up if I purchase a mount with the motor kits and GOTO system already installed.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Many Thanks in advance.

For the 200P and serious astro photography then you should be considering nothing less than an HEQ5 or even an EQ6 size of mount. They are more expensive BUT you are pretty well "future proofed". You don't need the goto if you have a laptop or netbook - you can use EQMOD which is free and has FAR more functionality than any goto mount.

I'm with Bizibilder on this, the HEQ5 is the MINIMUM for astro-photography with a 200P.

Just to clarify, you do need a GoTo mount or a SynTrek mount to make use of EQmod. You don't need a GoTo hand controller though so you could buy an HEQ5 SynTrek which is the cheaper of the two and operate it with EQMod.

Many Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping I can trade my EQ5 in for the better model. Looking at various sites selling equipment can be quite confusing when some sites list xyz functionality and others don't!

How much better is the EQ6 compared to the HEQ5? I will be looking to upgrade my tube at some point so I want to get the best mount I can for the money.

Thanks in advance..

In my humble opinion, the QE6 PRO is the best mount for the amount of money you pay, it can cope with up to a 25Kg load. It is priced about the £900 mark at the moment, but second hand ones sometimes come up on UK astronomy by and sell. The mount only comes with two 5Kg counterweights, so you would need to order a third to balance a SW 200P plus a guide scope, guide camera and main camera that you will need for astrophotography.

Good Luck.

Archived